Fog/Smoke/Haze/Particulate that are not oil based?

Hi IT,

I have a couple of projects coming up where we need to use various levels of particulate/haze but cannot use anything that is oil based. One project is on location at an historic military residence, the other is a sound stage. Both locations have policies against the use of oil-based foggers/hazers/smoke machines, so I need to find alternate solutions to the readily available cheap-o machines that are usually found in party rentals and the like.

Effects needed:

Standard "dust motes in the air" level of particulate. Very fine, only visible in shafts of light. I want to say there is an actual kind of "dust" that is used for this rather than a machine. Has anyone heard of such?

A "smokey bar" effect. More like standard hazer territory, but I am not familar with any but the oil based kind.

------

A heavier "dust in the air" effect than listed above. This is for a post-apocalyptic piece that takes place in a mostly ruined building interior. Same sort of "ambient dust" idea, but not as heavy as a hazer.

For all of these, a regular smoke/fog machine is just too thick. Need something very subtle for the "dust" effects.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

If there are no rules against water-based hazers, then use a water-based. You can rent them pretty cheaply, and the fog juice is relatively cheap too. Rosco make both.

Water based fog isn't as thick/dense, and dissipates quicker than its oil-based brethren, so you're probably best to pump a lot of smoke in and wait for it to settle a bit.

You can also get water-based hazers, though they may be slightly more expensive - your local theatre supply rental house may be cheaper than your film supply rental house. Hazers can give a really nice effect.

There are also Fazers, which are a combination of a hazer and a fog machine..

I've generally seen Fazers in use in theatre and hazers in film because hazers are more subtle.

Just keep everything on a low setting, or adjust until you like what you see.

I've also seen joss sticks and 'smoke in a can' type products used with varying results, YMMV with these.

Rosco also make their standard fog fluid, as well as a 'light' fog fluid, the purpose of which is for a 'lighter fog effect' so you might find that suits your needs.

Shane Hurlbut talks heaps on smoke and fog effects and diffusion here: http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/05/diffusion-for-the-digital-age/

A "smokey bar" effect. More like standard hazer territory, but I am not familar with any but the oil based kind.
Almost all hazers and smoke machines made after mid 90's or so are water based.
Le Maitre makes all kinds of water based foggers and hazers. I think they are now Ultratec in the States
Chauvet is a very popular, reliable name in foggers/hazers - Check out their Hurricane Haze 2D
One of the best is Elation - X-HAZE

Check out http://www.theatrefx.com

Thanks Gents.

I did see "Fog in a Can" on the Filmtools site, but the MSDS shows that being a Mineral Oil based product, so a no go there.

I think talc is the "dust" I was trying to remember, and may be the route I go for a couple of shots where I just want motes in the light.

I had to google "joss sticks," never considered using insence before. Probably because of the scents. :lol: Does make a very thin smoke though, hmm.

Rosco Fog Juice looks to be an Water/Glycol solution, but I'll have to double check the rules and make sure water-based stuff is ok.

Back