Flycam Nano DSLR vs 3000 vs 5000

Just sold my Nikon DSLR so that I can buy a stabilizer for an upcoming music video shoot. I'm pretty sure the Flycam is going to give me the best bang for my buck (I'm looking to spend between $200-$300) but I'm not sure which model to get, the Nano DSLR, the 3000, or the 5000.

I'm using a GH1 with either the kit lens or vintage glass (most commonly the Helios 44-2). Not sure what the weight of those is, but it's not terribly heavy. Occasionally I might also mount a shotgun mic or Tascam DR-05 on top (for reference sound only, obviously not to be used in the final project). I don't think all of that would exceed the weight limit of any of the above, but I'm not sure (if I could find a scale, which I know I have somewhere, I could tell for sure). I don't see upgrading my camera gear any time soon, but I can't rule out that I might rent something like the BlackMagic Cinema camera if funds allow and it would be nice to be able to use the same stabilizer.

So, I guess I'm just wondering whether it's worth spending the extra on the 3000 or the 5000? I want to order asap so that I have a month or more to practice with it before we actually start shooting the video.

Decided to go with the Nano DSLR. Seems like a lot of people are of the opinion that it's better to be closer to the weight limit for a stabilizer, and I'm pretty sure my camera kit is weighing in at less than 3 pounds, which puts it squarely in the weight range for the Nano. I'll post test videos once I get it.

Balancing it is a bit of a feat, though.

That's what I've heard. Seems to be an issue on all of the Flycam models, though it also seems to be hit or miss on how difficult each one is to balance. I'm prepared for it to be a pain. The Glidecam is supposed to be a lot easier to balance, but unfortunately that's just not in the budget at the moment (couldn't find a used one within the budget, either).

I have a flycam nano dslr. The trick to balancing is to have something that can hold the handle while you mess with the cheeseplate.

I did encounter one big issue with balancing it, though... some lenses shift weight significantly when pulling focus, and that throws the balance way off! So make sure you set the focus and zoom in the general area of where you expect to be shooting before balancing. Naturally, you won't be able to swap lenses and remain balanced, either.

I am having Flycam 5000... i am using it from last year. I love my Flycam, its quality is very good. One of their videos helped me, a lot in balancing....:yes::yes:

Really Flycam 5000 worth my money.

Back