tv Flatscreen TV vs Monitor.

I would really like to buy one of those LCD flatscreen monitors 16:9 ration as aposed to paying 1000 bucks for a 21 inch computer monitor.

seems like no one knows what they're doing in these stores. I went to BestBuy and to Frys and both of them don't know the best way to convert the 2 systems.

VGA is not 16:9.. i know this but I want to have a computer monitor in HD format so I dont have to burn dvd to view test shots or anything like that.

I know I can run component from camera to the tv but i want to do speciel fx and render then run it straight from the computer to a large monitor.

The more expensive TVs have vga input. but the same kind of TV with just as good monitor can be as cheap as 5 or 6 hundred dollars less that only has a DVI or RGB component input.

Both places dont have a high definition converter. Some guy said he had a svideo/RGB com/DVI out but it was 4:3 resolution. Im thinking that the flat panel TVs are smart enough to stretch to proper size to fill in where you normally get matted borders on a 4:3 VGA screen.

But I dont want to buy the TV and find that all the thing does is shrink the 16:9 to a smaller size with a 16:9 border around it.

I hope that makes sense. like have a letter box with in the letter box of a black border. Will the TVs fill the whole screen automatically if its the same ratio?

I'de rather pay 1100 bucks for a wesinghouse 27 inch with RGB and DVI in then 1800 bucks for a viewsonic crap brand that has the vga input already but may or may not fill the screen.

I can render in 1280x720 or whatever the size is for 16:9

btw.. i know someone is going to correct me.. and thats OK.. the ratio conversion is difficult to understand for a new person like me.

The monitor I believe at 4:3 is 1280x768 and 1280x720 for 16:9 ( I Believe true 16:9 is 1300 and something).

so a 1280x720 render will have black borders (mattes?) on the top and bottom of the computer 4:3 screen.

but these TVs im talking about is supposed to take the 1280x720 and stretch it to fit giving it a near perfect HDTV look.

SO thats what im asking.

Back