First Time Canon T3i and Lenses

So, I've been working with a T3i for the past few months or so borrowing it from the tech college that I went to. But now that school's over, I am camera-less. I've gotten used to the T3i and really like it, and I've heard almost everywhere that it is one of the best-value cameras for amateur filmmakers.

So, I'm ready to buy my own, but I'm a little overwhelmed with all the choices of lenses presented to me.
Through my very limited research, I'm wondering if this is a good setup:

The camera body only (refurbished)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm (refurbished)

Canon EF 50mm

I'd like to stay below $800.

So, first questions.....Is the 50 mm necessary? The reason I would get it is because it seems widely known as a 'must have' or very good basic lens, and I'd like to have a non-zoom lens since they are said to have better low light quality (correct?).

And also, do you think it would be a better deal if I got the camera with the kit lens and bought only one other lens? And if so, which lens would complement the disadvantages of the kit lens?

I feel like I'm finally stepping into the 'real world' of film because up until this point I've simply tampered in the more artistic side and not the technical one. I still haven't even gotten into lights and sound, but one step at a time right? I really want to nail down my camerawork before moving onto the others.

Anyway, thanks for the help!
And I will probably order pretty quickly (within the next day or so) so that I have it by next weekend.

Assign someone on set to import the footage while you continue shooting on a different card or 4. Someone you trust who is REALLY detail oriented.

I spent years with tapes that I still have because I handed them to a single person for 10 years. They were always locked instantly and labeled with our naming convention that we used on every single shoot. When we got to the editing process, he would then relinquish control of the tapes to me (Even I didn't have access to them until that point -- he guarded them like gold). This will allow you to keep shooting for the cast/crew, and keep the process rolling along.

In the film days, this is the loader/2nd AC who also did the slating and the paper work associated with all of the film.

Just saw this on ebay and it seems like a really good deal:
T3i Kit

Thinking about going for it. Good idea?

Two of the "lenses" that come with that kit are actually conversion lenses. No bueno. And there's nothing else in this kit that looks enticing to me. Memory cards have become really inexpensive. This kit comes with a 16gb and 8gb? Lame. I'm never using anything less than 32gb, they're so cheap! And all those other extras -- the bag, the tripod, etc., I think you can expect them each to be a piece of shit. I'd stay away from this kit, better to build your own.

And that's what you're doing in this thread! :)

You've gotten a lot of good info here, some of it has disagreed with what I've recommended, but I think all of the opinions you've gotten have been very worthy of consideration. The only thing I feel I must stress is that I think you NEED the ability to go wide. Whatever package you choose, make sure you've got a wide option.

Best of luck!

Back