• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch First test shots with Canon T3i/600D

Hey everyone!

I recently bought a Canon Rebel T3i/600D (it was a steal at only $550 with kit lens included), and did a few test shots the other day. I'm very new at shooting with a DSLR, and everything is handheld*, but I was wondering what everybody thought of it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhTbEPq95g

Everything was shot at 1080p at 23.976 fps (24p), and edited in Adobe Premiere Pro CC and graded in SpeedGrade CC. Remember, it was my first time ever shooting with a DSLR and using all manual settings. I was just having fun. :)

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
-Jeremy

*Correction - all the indoor shots were shot with a rickety old monopod (the legs don't like to stay extended), and all the outdoor shots were handheld.

Last edited:
Nice work! The DOF and focusing work is very nice :yes:

But some shots were muddy, and other shots seemed a bit too dark/too bright. Shaky as well (read the bit about the monopod).

Yes, you are creepy yet.

Thanks! :)

That was actually my younger brother there at the end. He proceeded to act very strange after that, and yes he can be creepy... :lol:

Yeah, some shots had way too much noise in them due to improper lighting, and the ISO was too high. I also had the white balance off a bit which I tried to correct in post, but you can only do so much for that...

Still got quite a bit to learn, but I feel like I'm heading in the right direction! :D

I made this video tonight, too. Improper lighting aside, it was another fun test!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxZv0lnn2Zc

Thanks! :)

It's funny, while I was editing I kept feeling that something was missing. When I put the older sounding music in, I knew that it needed a letterbox on it, and after matching the edits with the music, it seemed perfect. I like it when something like that happens!

I feel like the music really helped with it, too. It was perfect for the pacing, at least that's what I think. Gustav Holst had some pretty amazing compositions!

Hi Yodaman, welcome to the DSLR club! :)

If you've not checked it out yet, take a look at what the Magic Lantern software offers us lucky Canon users. It totally transforms the capabilities of your camera. ;)

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Once you're familiar with your camera's basic functions, ML will offer you plenty to keep you going for a good while yet.. :)

Edit: Oh, and in the absence of a mobile camera steadying system, you can attach your cam to the tri/monopod and rest it over your shoulder to give it a third point of contact. It aint no shoulder rig/steadicam, but is smoother than handheld at least. :)

Last edited:
Okay, so you know how to shoot a string of random tight shots with shallow DoF and focus racking.

Do you know how to frame stunning wide shots?

Here's the thing about DSLR shooting that trips up a lot of beginners: shallow depth of field and "cinematic" are not the same thing. Not by a long shot (pun intended). It all started when video-capable DSLRs hit the market and everyone realized they could get shallow focus on a budget-friendly camera, just like in the movies! Suddenly, YT and Vimeo were swamped with "test videos" from everyone and their mother-in-law's fourth cousin. No longer were people making narrative works. Just test videos. Lots of 'em. So fascinated were they that shallow focus was within reach that everything became shallow... and shallow-focused, too.

If you pay attention to professional motion pictures, shallow focus is used sparingly and intentionally.

At least with "The Fishies" it is justified due to the miniature nature of the subject, but that piece was still missing something wider to establish context.

I'm not being harsh just to be an ass. I'm being honest. Get your shallow DoF honeymoon out of the way as soon as you can, and try telling a visual story without relying on it.

Last edited:
Okay, so you know how to shoot a string of random tight shots with shallow DoF and focus racking.

Do you know how to frame stunning wide shots?

Here's the thing about DSLR shooting that trips up a lot of beginners: shallow depth of field and "cinematic" are not the same thing. Not by a long shot (pun intended). It all started when video-capable DSLRs hit the market and everyone realized they could get shallow focus on a budget-friendly camera, just like in the movies! Suddenly, YT and Vimeo were swamped with "test videos" from everyone and their mother-in-law's fourth cousin. No longer were people making narrative works. Just test videos. Lots of 'em. So fascinated were they that shallow focus was within reach that everything became shallow... and shallow-focused, too.

If you pay attention to professional motion pictures, shallow focus is used sparingly and intentionally.

At least with "The Fishies" it is justified due to the miniature nature of the subject, but that piece was still missing something wider to establish context.

I'm not being harsh just to be an ass. I'm being honest. Get your shallow DoF honeymoon out of the way as soon as you can, and try telling a visual story without relying on it.

Actually, wide shots are something I was hoping to work on this weekend. :) Not too wide (not like vista shoots or anything, although I REALLY want to shoot some mountainous landscapes soon!), but more natural looking than super up-close in-your-face shots.

And I totally agree with what you're saying about beginners with DSLRs. The shallow DOF you can get with them is a really nifty thing, but it's DEFINITELY overused. Honestly, the only reason I did the shallow DOF was to test my ability to focus. "The Fishies" was my second ever attempt at manual focus and focus pulling. I like how it turned out, but I wish I could've had a slightly less shallow DOF to make it look a little more natural (unfortunately, any wider of a shot and you would've seen the sides of the tank - it's a small 15-gallon my brother has set up in his room). And you're right, I probably should've had a wider establishing shot or something, to give context. Or, I could've shot a river or something! Possibilities are endless. :)

One thing I definitely want to work on is to NOT have a ton of shallowness in my videos. I want them to look as cinematic as possible, and I want to do with framing, composition, lighting, grading, and all of the other stuff!

And you're not being harsh or an ass. I appreciate the honest feedback! It's really what I need. :)

Thanks!

Back