• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch First short film - "Just War"

Hey Paul, you did a good job compositing the movie. I seldom see good composite work on short movies. Also, you're on your way to mastering film grammar - your jump-cuts in the movie were very interesting (but somewhat inconsistent to the style and mood of the film)
My two points:

** not sure how much influence you had over the writing but the drama is a bit flat. after a beautiful opening shot, the men look like they were strolling on a sunday afternoon and there was a twist but no real dramatic arc with the wounded terrorist. if you have control over the script, rewrite it to add more drama (men's last patrol before returning and none of them have ever killed before. here's a chance to score a trophy kill without anyone knowing its illegal - i'm certain you can find better scenarios). if you don't have control over the script, then you have to find ways to dramatize the material cinematically - this is the true test of your talent and i wouldn't pretend to tell you how to do this.

** infuse the film with your own personal style or verve. having a style can go a long ways towards masking a weak script.

overall a good effort and good luck on your next movie.

Great visual effects for a film of this kind of budget.
Great direction for the first minute.

After that I can't say I really enjoyed it. The story could have been stronger and more reflective of the theme, and the direction got more into 'cool' than storytelling. It felt all over the place at times, reflecting a poorly written picture. But overall a good effort for this type of film, which is quite difficult to produce without the budget to do so. Very good use of resources.

Back