• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch FIRST music video I've ever filmed. Comments?

Really, it was the first one i've ever shot for someone else. I KNOW it's not too great, and you can clearly see the level I'm at with filming as of now. Anything to work on within my beginner level that can help me in the near future? I use a t3i btw. Various lenses.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBcUpJUEqkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MBcUpJUEqkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-Dan :cool:

Last edited:
Two things.

1) Was the guy on bath salts?

2) Did you get permission to film him sitting on that grave stone? (Even so, it's still a bit disrespectful.)

Two things.

1) Was the guy on bath salts?

2) Did you get permission to film him sitting on that grave stone? (Even so, it's still a bit disrespectful.)

1) No, but that was his choice in the video to do that scene haha I had no control over that one.

2) And yes, I totally understand, and wasn't a fan for the shot, but we DID ask permission and said it's fine as long as it wasn't for long.

:cool:

I could see that you were trying to tell a story with this music vid but I think you fell off the mark. The shots didn't tell us a story. I'm guessing someone died and that's the theme for the song. But who throws weeds on a grave to honor their loved one? The only time I really got a good feeling that it was a bout someone who had passed was when he was crying on the gravestone. You had a lot of time to build the story in the intro. Instead you tried to get artsy with your shots.

Look, nobody is going to remember every dynamite shot you did. In fact, most people aren't going to remember any of them. They don't care. Who is your target audience? Is it this site or people out in the real world. It's like when I was doing magic and someone would come up with this super complicated method to produce the same magic effect as you could do quite simply. Well that's all very well and good when you're showing off to magicians, but the audience doesn't give two shakes of a lambs tail! What I mean is that you need to think about what you are showing the audience and act accordingly.

I think this was a great first attempt :yes:

Most new music videos....well, I guess it depends on what genre of music you are in, you don't need to necessarily establish 'a story' per se. There are MANY videos that want to present an emotion. I think you did that. I liked your camera shots and could tell you put some thought into them. There are A LOT of filmmakers who don't. The only thing I didn't get was the guy convulsing at the end. Even if you are going for a 'feeling' for your idea, it has to connect somewhere. That last part lost me.

Oh, and if you go to a grocery store, you can find a bouquet of real flowers. (I shot a video where my subject decided he wanted to give the girl a flower. He brought a fake flower. By that time I couldn't leave the shoot to replace it, but damn, dude! You couldn't spring for ONE REAL FLOWER? Don't cut corners like that. Three real carnations or one real rose is going to cost you less than $5 bucks and it will improve the look of your video.

I thought it was nicely done....

-- spinner :cool:

I noticed the rapper has his eyes almost completely shut for most of the video. That is a problem. It must have been bright out there that day. Anyways, it probably would have been better if he had sunglasses on or his eyes were open on a less bright day.

I thought the zombie/seizure/fake death at the end was weird and not fitting. This video would be better if you showed roses on the grave versus weeds.

Maybe you need to show how the person died in the video. Maybe a car crash or a drive by or shooting or something like that. Maybe a fight that turned bad. Anyways, I think that would better. Who died a girl a guy or kid? I think adding in some of the story so people care what happened would add a lot to the video. Show some flash backs to what it was like before the person died as far as the friendship/relationship.

At the end of the video could be the suicide of the guy because he can't live with out that person or something like that. Or maybe use a happy ending like seeing the ghost of the person that died or the angel of them.

You had quite a bit of footage of the Chicago hat that could be a problem since it is trademarked/copyrighted. Anyways, I would try to get the rapper to wear something that does not have copyrighted artwork, logos, or trademarked things showing in the video. Less chance of getting in trouble that way.

Last edited:
I read all the critiques and comments. All I have to say is I came to the right forum. I REALLY appreciate your guys input. I totally understand what you mean about targeting the audience more, and making one solid emotion come out of it. I will definitely give that a shot and keep you posted on my updates. I respect all of your opinions and appreciate them. Also, (FYI), the rapper REALLY wanted that last shot in the video and I REALLY didn't.. so I can't take too much blame for that since he WAS paying me...I kind of had to listen to his input a little bit. Thanks again!

-DannyP

Back