• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Firewire Cable for IMAC's - Big Problem!!!! *Pics included

Hey everyone. Like I've said before I recently bought a Panasonic ag-dvx100b.
The problem is, I recently bought a firewire cable that a salesman told me would work on my IMAC. My buddy and I tried to fit the cable into the port, but it wouldn't work. A few days later, the salesman tells me he can't refund me, he can only exchange it for another cable. He says I might need a 9 pin by 4 pin which costs $100....

I took a picture of what the back of my computer looks like and of the firewire cable that I bought. Hopefully one of you can figure out where I'm coming from.

And by the way, My IMAC is 2.8GHz intel core i5 with 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 of memory

firewirecable.jpg

backofmac.jpg

Thanks,

TS

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-imac-summer-2010/4507-3118_7-34139836.html?tag=specs

Interfaces 1 x Display / video - Apple mini-DisplayPort , 1 x IEEE 1394b (FireWire 800) - 9 pin FireWire 800 , 4 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A , 1 x Audio - SPDIF output/headphones - Mini-phone 3.5 mm / TOSLINK , 1 x Audio - SPDIF input/line-in - Mini-phone 3.5 mm / TOSLINK , 1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45 , 1 x Remote control - Infrared

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-imac-summer-2010/4507-3118_7-34139836.html?tag=specs

Interfaces 1 x Display / video - Apple mini-DisplayPort , 1 x IEEE 1394b (FireWire 800) - 9 pin FireWire 800 , 4 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A , 1 x Audio - SPDIF output/headphones - Mini-phone 3.5 mm / TOSLINK , 1 x Audio - SPDIF input/line-in - Mini-phone 3.5 mm / TOSLINK , 1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45 , 1 x Remote control - Infrared

LOL Cracker Funk is like Bumble Bee from Transformers - he can only type things copied and pasted from the internet.

lol... I made a joke!

hehe Cracker Funk you know I love you :)

Zensteve is right. 100$ for a firewire cable is insane - unless it's 500 feet long.

Try this:

A firewire cable has an indent on one end of it making it skinnier on the tip. Try to fit this in the hole the same way you see plug fitting. It's sort of like that circle, square, and triangle game we all played as a kid.

Last edited:
hot damn.
so I can get a 9 pin - 4 pin for $10.00 online?

why the heck is that store charging $75.00 for a 9 pin - 4 pin and $30.00 for a 6 pin - 4 pin.

man, I'm going to see if they'll take it back and I can get my $30.00 and get it online.

Is $30.00 for 5 panasonic mini-dV 60 minute recording tapes bad too?

Slow down, dude, and make sure you are getting what you need before rushing out with your creditcard.

so I can get a 9 pin - 4 pin for $10.00 online?

Maybe it's that low. Haven't looked it up. Last FireWire cable I bought was $20 - at a store. Can't say I've ever seen a computer with FW2 (800), but a cable's a cable. That's all I'm sayin'... and you springin' for gold-plated ones?

Is $30.00 for 5 panasonic mini-dV 60 minute recording tapes bad too?

Depends which type of tape. Panasonic makes many. If you're talking about the AY-HDVM tapes, then I buy them for about $25 per pack of 5. Other "lesser" quality tapes by the same company cost far less.

Just make sure you have the cable you need. Also, even if the cable is actually the problem! The PC's I buy all have issues with one particular brand of Sony HDV camera. It's a driver issue, for one particular brand of chipset. It's not always the most obvious solution.

TruEsTar;

Maybe you solved all of your cable issues, but I am just getting to this thread....

Firewire cable should not cost you $100. I think I paid $20 for mine.

The mini DV tape stock I use is Panasonic mini DV AY-DVM63PQ. If I spend $45 dollars, I have 15 tapes.

I have the same camera you have. Any equipment I need, I get from BHphotovideo.com. I have never had any problems.

Where are you getting your stuff from? What is Monster? Never heard of it.

Back