Finally, Done Deal

Here's the plan - with all the hoopla about FCP 10 and time passing without fixes, I think I'll become, or attempt to become, proficient with Avid. I downloaded Media Composer 5.5 free trial and it doesn't look impossible. I know my way around Premiere to a relative extent and I think this will be my tandem.

Not that anyone cares. ;) Just thinking out loud.

Thinking out loud is still allowed, right?

I'm a Vegas Pro dude, yeah I know, depending on who you ask we're the Community College of editing tools. But it's all good. I love me some Vegas and someday, if I find that I really want to get into the editing thing in a major way Avid will be the way I go. But right now, I really, really dig Vegas. Just sayin'. In any case keep us informed, Cam, and if anything I hope this post provided some sort of moral support. Not that you were asking for it...now, is unsolicited moral support still allowed?

Hehe! I'm an editing software whore I suppose. I did the Vegas thing For Vegas 8&9 and switched to Premiere, which I'm comfortable with. You can get a job with Media Composer, though, if need be.

I have FCP 7 and X and I'm not feeling it. It works fine, but not my thought process. :)

I've been cutting exclusively on Premiere for quite a while now, but have used AVID in the past. I remember liking it. Seemed fairly intuitive and similar to other NLEs.

FCP X ain't my bag either.

Good to know there's a free trial! Might have to give it a spin :)

I'm currently dropping back to osx 10.6. And will stay at fcp7 for the foreseeable future. Ain't broke no need to upgrade. This last batch of upgrades seems to look like apple may start missing the mark outside the lifestyle device arena. Which is too bad as I felt they had struck the right balance between ease of use for general use, and hidden flexibility and power for the more savvy user. Oh well, my downgrade off of lion should be done soon and I'll wait until I have to upgrade rather than just wanting to. I lived on the PPC platform for 6 years past it's end of life. This stuff still works and there's no compelling reason to either upgrade or move off the platform at this point.

I'm currently dropping back to osx 10.6. And will stay at fcp7 for the foreseeable future. Ain't broke no need to upgrade. This last batch of upgrades seems to look like apple may start missing the mark outside the lifestyle device arena. Which is too bad as I felt they had struck the right balance between ease of use for general use, and hidden flexibility and power for the more savvy user. Oh well, my downgrade off of lion should be done soon and I'll wait until I have to upgrade rather than just wanting to. I lived on the PPC platform for 6 years past it's end of life. This stuff still works and there's no compelling reason to either upgrade or move off the platform at this point.

How you describe it certainly makes sense. I'm picking my poison long term and will probable settle into a similar pattern.

Up until this last project, I was still running FCP5 just fine. A new version doesn't make an old version magically stop working. I'm still using Appleworks 6 because I like it better as a word processor than the last 4-5 versions of Word and Pages... I'll continue using it until something better comes along... I'm a bit picky, but more with user interface than pure function... I'll take a slightly inferior product with a much better interface any day of the week, because my frustrations come with having to directly interact with my computer. -- I still use the command line to get around quite frequently because I find it a purely elegant solution to doing many tasks on a computer... one line, 5-6 words and a task is going (potentially even a large task) that would take minutes of clicking to even start.

Back