• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut VS Adobe Premier

Basically my PC is extremely outdated and has made it almost impossible for me to even edit videos. So I plan on getting a laptop/macbook.

So whether I should use final cut or adobe premier is the decider whether I should go Mac or stay Windows.

Which one is better and which one is used in the industry more often? I don't want to use a program only to have to learn something else later on. It's like with Photoshop. Everyone uses Photoshop, no one in the industry will use something like Gimp for example.

If I go for Final Cut then I will need to get a Macbook. If I go for Adobe Premier I will need to get a Laptop.

I'm going to say what I wrote in the other PC vs Mac thread:

Personally, I would say Mac. I don't think either one is going to make you a better editor or render anything faster, but here are my reasons for choosing Mac:

- Can work with all Adobe products AND Final Cut Studio
- Seems to be ubiquitous with the mid -to- high level editing companies/organizations/institutions that I've come into contact with.
- I really like Final Cut Studio more than Adobe Creative suite for video postproduction. It could easily just be me, but I've found Final Cut to be more stable, intuitive, and faster than Premiere, plus a heck of a lot more powerful. Shake/Final Cut Pro vs After Effects/Premiere Pro will never be a competition in my mind.
- You get all the power of UNIX. This might not matter to you if all you're looking at doing is basic editing, but I use the command line every single day to help me out, mostly with media organization, but just earlier today I wrote a command line utility to help me out with a visual effects shot I was doing.

When I started film school, I was among two of thirty people in my class that used a Mac. By the end of the first year, 20 of them were Mac users, and by the end of the third year, every single one had switched.

Do with that what you will.

This is all just a personal opinion, of course, but I've worked with both formats, and trust me, there's just no comparison between Premiere and Final Cut. When I used Premiere, it was nothing short of a headache, dropped frames, freezing, EXTREEEEEEEEEMLY slow uploading and processing altogether! I'm not just badmouthing Adobe, because they do, in fact have some great products, and in all honesty, I did use Premiere for years...even upgrading everytime a new version came out, but once I switched to Mac and experience Final Cut...holy shmolies dude, it was like a trip to heaven lol. It was amazing to me that literally nothing (that wasn't normal filmmaking hiccups) went wrong!

Understandably the pricetag of a Mac and Final Cut, in comparison to a PC can be daunting, but please trust me when I say it's worth 100% (in my opinion). It should be viewed as an investment, rather than just a purchase...kinda like a car (even though I value my editing system more than I do my car, as Im sure most people on these forums do ;).

In regards to what kind of Mac, the MacPro is always gonna be the way to go for editing, but if you need some portability, the MacBook Pro is pretty good, but for computing power and well editing power, if you want portability, go with the higher end iMac, wayyyy more processing speed and power in general and CHEAPER than the MacBook Pro. That plus they make 3rd party carrying cases for the iMac (Ive even seen hardcover cases online). But of course, if you have the $$, go with the Mac Pro tower (but save you $$ and buy your monitor(s) from a company other than Mac, way too expensive ($899 for a 24 in HD monitor) for the same thing you can buy at Best Buy for a fraction of the cost (Samsung 24.6" widescreen HD monitor,$339.99)

Ok, my two cents turned into 25 cents, but there it is, and good luck :)

I recommend FC over Premiere. I'm a huge fan of Adobe products, but I've watched too many crashes occur when editing on Premiere. Maybe it was the hardware config...I don't know...but it turned me off to Premiere. Very seldom do I see FC crash.

I recommend FC over Premiere. I'm a huge fan of Adobe products, but I've watched too many crashes occur when editing on Premiere. Maybe it was the hardware config...I don't know...but it turned me off to Premiere. Very seldom do I see FC crash.

This is incredibly subjective (as is the entire argument of what is "better"), as I rarely, if ever see Premiere crash, but have experienced many reboots on Final Cut Pro.

These kinds of things rarely if ever help someone trying to make a decision because everyone's experience varies. Which version of the software on what kind of hard ware and with what other programs running or installed? All of these factors will make someone's opinion of a program and OS affect everything after.

As I said in the other thread - this is like asking people what car is "the best"? It's 100% subjective and will depend on each persons point of view, experience, needs, and nothing will come of it except opinions that may or may not be the same as the person asking.

It's the artist, not the brush that counts....

although, as I already stated - it's a statistical FACT that Final Cut Pro has eaten away AVID's dominance in the field of professional editing software and is now the defacto software.

AVID is not out of the game; as they still have a 35-40% market share of PROFESSIONAL level film and television editing choice. Their foray into the low level editing (Xpress DV and Xpress Pro HD) has gone away and their focus is solely on high end, expensive systems.

I have edited in most NLE packages. One is not truly "better" than another. I like PC's, so Adobe Premiere Pro is my tool of choice, but if I had more experience with the MAC, I would no doubt be cutting on Final Cut Pro. The two tools are exactly equal in my eyes.

well said, sir.
Over the years, Premiere and FCP have evolved where Avid's product line has taken hige strides backwards. In the end, the best NLE is simply the best match for your preference, workflow, and budget. Marketability plays less and less of a factor int his as time goes by. While in the 90s we all heard "do you have an Avid?" from giddy producers on the phone, man, they really couldn't care less in most cases today. Get what ya dig. Enjoy it. Outgrow it then move on.

Back