• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Problem

I need to send my Final Cut project to my distributor.

It's a mess, there's 30 sessions cut and pasted into one. There's one scene session that's gone. So, I found the footage, put it back on the drive, and now I'm finding the takes and reediting. I do have the "media not found" pieces, so I have exact length, speed, and color correction.

Here's my problem. I have the correct take, and I've started it at the very point where the take begins. I can't go a frame back. I've stopped it at the exact frame where the take would end. If I go one frame further you'll see the actors moving.

The first part of the take I sped up to 120, after that it goes to 50. Using every available frame the piece is too short. How is that possible?

I made a movie years ago, and this particular footage on the HD went missing. So I recaptured the footage from the miniDV.

However, media reconnect does not work. So, I'm matching the footage from the movie, and using the speed and color correction etc from the blank pieces on the timeline.

I'm up to a toughie because the footage is split.

Original footage is 14:02 seconds long. But I have to break it down to the following -

1st piece is 3:23 seconds long and runs at speed 120.

2nd piece is 27:15 seconds long and runs at speed 50.

Using the full 14:03 clip and changing the speeds, it's nolonger long enough to cover the time it was originally. This is the exact take, and it nolonger fits. Why would that be? It's weird as sin.

I figured out what I did wrong. I don't know why this happens, but here's the solution I found.

I made an independent clip from the original. Then the speed and length changes fell right into place.

Go figure.

Thanks for trying to help.

The other way is to select the clips in the clip browser that are offline and go to the log/capture window. Then hit batch capture, selected clips and it'll ask you for the reel they're on.

The other way is to select the clips in the clip browser that are offline and go to the log/capture window. Then hit batch capture, selected clips and it'll ask you for the reel they're on.

Do you know how that's different then reconnect media?

Since the original session was deleted (yes I remember doing this years ago), I relogged and captured the entire day's shooting. Since I cut/paste/make independent clips and do everything that a normal person wouldn't do, when I did reconnect media, the footage was no where near correct.

With your way, I'd still have to find the correct take and put an in and out point?

Reconnecting assumes the media exists on your harddrive somewhere. And it being broken have forced me into my current workflow, projects encapsulated and self contained with clips captured separately rather than subclipped.

Back