Final cut pro x got updated

I think Apple have a lot of catching up to do now.

They need to sit down and have a real think about whether they want to be the Tech company that appeals to Grandma Josh who has never used a computer before or if they want to keep their software fragmented between Casual and Pro.

The former gets them the money, the latter gets them the loyalty...

Everyone reacted the same way they react whenever Apple does something like this.

Apple III, Apple Lisa, Macintosh, Final Cut Pro 1, iMovie, iTunes, OSX 1.0, iPhone, iMac, iPad...

Look at the reactions from their customers... absolute outrage, then 2 years later, you can't pry it from their cold dead hands. You can't make a huge change like this and expect a fully formed product... but Apple is really good at releasing software that will be adapting to the needs of the users in relatively short order. What they've achieved in a short development cycle with FCPx is amazing - and very mac like... the interface is now approachable by the general user, and all of the power tools are neatly tucked away. 90% of your day is at your fingertips... and that which isn't is being addressed (note: in the order they're being asked for most vocally by the professional users who they apparently don't listen to) will be shortly based on the user need. If they had converted everything straight off, the huge code purge wouldn't have happened (and it needed to). Soon, we'll end up with a system that is exactly what we need if we just continue letting apple know what we need addressed.

FCP's old code base was at the end of its life. It was originally Adobe's pre - premeire attempt at a video editing package that was then sold to Macromedia... after years of primary development by a non-Apple team, it got purchased by Apple and the development team along with it. It didn't adhere to the old Apple interface rules (pre-osx), much less the new ones from the next/osx world. I'm so happy that they are doing this overhaul. the optimizations in it for each new main processor platform it's been released on have weighed it down (and that was initially on an entirely different architecture - PPC // before that, it had been developed on 68040 processors).

Much like the PPC itself... they couldn't take it farther due to all the legacy code within the app. they also had rolled in so many apps to the studio package whose primary functionality can now be contained directly within the FCP interface that the process of approaching Final Cut Pro as a novice at all was nearly inconceivable. The new tool can be learned by a child with almost no adult interaction... and the complex tools are still in there, they're just hidden. This is a VERY Apple mindset - I'll be installing some POSIX compliant, open source XWindows GIS applications from within terminal later tonight... if you know what those are, you know how to get to those features of the MacOS... if not, you don't need to know and the way to do that is hidden from view.

I spent years in OSX dealing with console based sys admin and network admin tools... not at all the "lickable, toy interface" that was touted at the beginning of the OSX lifecycle -- and I've been doing that from within OSX since Developer Preview 4 (pre release in 2000).

All of the power we'll need in FCP will be there if it's not already... they're just getting started, and in 2-3 years, we'll most likely see a huge change in the normal workflow of the Hollywood establishment driven by the fact that Apple DOES respond to their users, but sometimes requests for a band-aid being removed are followed by a brief stretch of pain.

The past 3 versions, the users have been crying for apple to make all of the changes they just made -- now when they do it, the users whine because they don't have the old system anymore.

Everyone reacted the same way they react whenever Apple does something like this.

Apple III, Apple Lisa, Macintosh, Final Cut Pro 1, iMovie, iTunes, OSX 1.0, iPhone, iMac, iPad...

Look at the reactions from their customers... absolute outrage, then 2 years later, you can't pry it from their cold dead hands. You can't make a huge change like this and expect a fully formed product... but Apple is really good at releasing software that will be adapting to the needs of the users in relatively short order. What they've achieved in a short development cycle with FCPx is amazing - and very mac like... the interface is now approachable by the general user, and all of the power tools are neatly tucked away. 90% of your day is at your fingertips... and that which isn't is being addressed (note: in the order they're being asked for most vocally by the professional users who they apparently don't listen to) will be shortly based on the user need. If they had converted everything straight off, the huge code purge wouldn't have happened (and it needed to). Soon, we'll end up with a system that is exactly what we need if we just continue letting apple know what we need addressed.

FCP's old code base was at the end of its life. It was originally Adobe's pre - premeire attempt at a video editing package that was then sold to Macromedia... after years of primary development by a non-Apple team, it got purchased by Apple and the development team along with it. It didn't adhere to the old Apple interface rules (pre-osx), much less the new ones from the next/osx world. I'm so happy that they are doing this overhaul. the optimizations in it for each new main processor platform it's been released on have weighed it down (and that was initially on an entirely different architecture - PPC // before that, it had been developed on 68040 processors).

Much like the PPC itself... they couldn't take it farther due to all the legacy code within the app. they also had rolled in so many apps to the studio package whose primary functionality can now be contained directly within the FCP interface that the process of approaching Final Cut Pro as a novice at all was nearly inconceivable. The new tool can be learned by a child with almost no adult interaction... and the complex tools are still in there, they're just hidden. This is a VERY Apple mindset - I'll be installing some POSIX compliant, open source XWindows GIS applications from within terminal later tonight... if you know what those are, you know how to get to those features of the MacOS... if not, you don't need to know and the way to do that is hidden from view.

I spent years in OSX dealing with console based sys admin and network admin tools... not at all the "lickable, toy interface" that was touted at the beginning of the OSX lifecycle -- and I've been doing that from within OSX since Developer Preview 4 (pre release in 2000).

All of the power we'll need in FCP will be there if it's not already... they're just getting started, and in 2-3 years, we'll most likely see a huge change in the normal workflow of the Hollywood establishment driven by the fact that Apple DOES respond to their users, but sometimes requests for a band-aid being removed are followed by a brief stretch of pain.

The past 3 versions, the users have been crying for apple to make all of the changes they just made -- now when they do it, the users whine because they don't have the old system anymore.

Wow, you have a lot of knowledge about this! Thanks for the reply. I think Apple gave a little hope to at least some people with this update. I agree its still missing features for professionals, though I am not one. If I was working at Apple, I'd put out some sort of roadmap that tells users what they're planning for. FCPX's future is stlill pretty uncertain, and pros can't keep changing their workflows. They need to have a plan, which says what they're adding and when. That's what I'd do, though I have no experience in software development or marketing. :D

@sonnyboo

Oops, I guess not. Maybe in a few months.

It's not that I disagree with the dumbing down the user interface - something very "Applesque".

It's more that they've blatantly ignored probably their most important user base in the mean-time by not having the features that are necessary for professional development, as sonnyboo pointed out.

It's like if Ferarri decided to throw out their sports models and start making soccer mum SUVs!

I know a campus at the local university was essentially screwed 'coz they had been conned into the education discount with Apple and couldn't get the latest FC because their entire collection of tutorials was in the old version.

They can promise the world and I'm sure they will eventually deliver, but time waits for no-one, not even Apple.

I'm not a fan of the "Magnetic timeline" I specifically edit in a way to which this is completely anathemetic. EDL, OMF, etc is the current way to do things. XML is relatively much newer, but has alot more promise and can potentially fulfill the functionality of the other formats. Apple has only ever been successful as a company when they have been dissatisfied with what is... and focus on what can be / what should be.

The reason for EDLs and OMF formats is to shunt files between programs that were never intended to work in tandem doing things that are unrelated... it's as ridiculous as sound film -- imagine how ridiculous it would be to record audio optically on the side of the film strip when we have this elegant solution of gluing a magnetic strip of tape to the film once we've finished printing it.

Tech changes... keep up, or keep insisting that the current way is the only way. The future holds the envelope as to who gets it right. We can balk about it and fight it, but Apple needs those media relationships to continue to get the content they need for their tv/itunes/whatever world... they know that there will be a slight ripple of discomfort... but I'm certain they see a bigger picture than we do on this as the folks who create the tools. If you disagree so strongly, write an XML to OMF conversion tool, or an XML to EDL conversion tool... the dev kit is all free and the standards are open.

Solutions or problems?

We can balk about it and fight it

If you disagree so strongly, write an XML to OMF conversion tool, or an XML to EDL conversion tool... the dev kit is all free and the standards are open.

Solutions or problems?

I am not a Final Cut Pro user regularly. I am not complaining or disagreeing with what they have done, merely stating the fact that the current iteration of the program is still lacking necessary tools for professional use for feature films and television post production.

OMF and EDL are current standards for audio and celluloid film, basically if the editor needs to send out the audio to a sound mixer in a format for their programs or if a negative cutter needs to conform the actual film - these options that were in previous versions of Final Cut Pro are still not present.

Similar to your opinion, I think within 18 months to 2 years, Final Cut Pro will have re-instated (or redefined) the standards.

SB: I appears to me (having watched their acquisitions and resulting killing off of the apps they buy; Shake, Color) that apple is less concerned with playing the industry standard card, and more interested in playing to their successes over the past 30 years of providing the "whole widget."

They don't compete with MS and they don't compete with hardware vendors, neither of them provide full solutions. Apple wants to provide the whole solution, which isn't as integrated if the applications are separate. Shake was rolled into motion to steal mindshare from AE (pretty unsuccessfully) and Color has been rolled into FCPx (back end code was probably the basis for their real time editing stuff).

I do, however, think Apple will respond to the market and put most of the stuff back in as people complain about it... they were just more concerned with laying the foundation for the future development and showing their progress to a market that complains if a day goes by without updates as if code magically appears to programmers in mystical ceremonies (not that that's not how it's done ;) )... I can't wait to see what they have in store.

T1G: where can I turn off the magnetic timeline or more specifically, the single main track storyline thingy which has absolutely no use for me - I grew out of that with iMovie and bought up to Final Cut Express years ago specifically to get away from that mentality.

I actually like the automatic linking and the no-gap bits... what bugs me is the lack of tracks (specifically in relation to audio) but also the "storyline" track as the one primary doo hickey.

I've never used a single track to go from clip to clip unless I specifically had to to be able to do a specific transition. I prefer to check board all of my footage to be able to cut quickly... The most recent shoot I actually assigned a track to each character and as I was cutting, just determined who I wanted to see next and dragged their angle from the appropriate track, adjusted the in point to match the action and j/l-cut the audio to cover the cut.

Single track dialog editing is a complete pain in the ass. If I were making commercials with no dialog or the quickie travelogue stuff that is shown in all of the demos, 1 track is great... not so for narrative editing. Wedding videographers should love this app right now, but I don't currently. I am, however, confident these things will get fixed in fairly short order. I want a stronger compositing tool than motion though. In scavengers, some of those shots have a dozen + layers of footage and particle generators to get the right look. I had to use Shake as Motion choked on it as did final cut.

Final Cut Pro is a non-linear video editing software developed by Macromedia Inc. and then Apple Inc. The most recent version, Final Cut Pro X, runs on Mac personal computers powered by Mac OS X version 10.6.7 or later and using Intel processors. The software allows users to log and transfer video onto a hard drive, where it can be edited, processed, and output to a wide variety of formats. Many longtime users of Apple's Final Cut Pro non-linear video editing software were upset when the company upgraded to Final Cut Pro X last summer. The software has been a staple for video editors, pro and novice, since 1998. But the new version is incompatible with files from old versions of the software, and the interface has been totally redesigned. Apple issued upgrade 10.0.3 Tues in an attempt to correct some of the problems. Final Cut Pro X was essentially version 1.0 of an entirely new app, and it shipped with enough features absent that many questioned the continued use of the “pro” name.

Back