• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

final cut pro users please help

just made the switch to FCP, still learning how to use it, ive got some questions.
What format should I use? Ive been playing around with it and in some exports the quality isnt HD as i shot it.I need to render every audio and video clip?? is there a program to make this easier?
thanks

just made the switch to FCP, still learning how to use it, ive got some questions.
What format should I use? Ive been playing around with it and in some exports the quality isnt HD as i shot it.I need to render every audio and video clip?? is there a program to make this easier?
thanks

Tutorials are the way to go. Apple has a bunch and one of my favorites is Creative Cow.

http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/applefinalcutpro

You'll want to use compressor (part of final cut's "Studio") to convert the footage to either an HDV format, or Prores422 if you've got the machine for it. MP4 is a highly compressed format that won't play well with the editor due to its having to be decoded every frame that is played while editing with it, (most formats have to be decoded, but the amount of compression on MP4 is really hobbling).

Once converted, you should have no problems cutting with the footage.

when i open fcp it doesnt give me options. It just says the footage isnt in its best format so its picks one itself, if that makes sense. Ive tried exporting it in different formats and nothing

In Final Cut Pro (not Express), you should be able to right click (or ctrl-click) on the sequence in the clip window and select one of the "properties" things toward the bottom of the pop-up menu to find out what format the sequence has chosen.

Personally, I export as full quicktime, then convert down to other formats using compressor.

Back