• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Pro on PC

Probably showing off my technological ignorance here, but can anyone tell me if Final Cut Pro can be used on both Mac and PC? It's the program I'm most familiar with however I have only ever used it on Macs and now have a PC.
And if so, how easy is it to take a project from one computer to the other, say if you wanted to edit concurrently on both Mac and PC?

Simple answer: no.

(I think) I've heard that Premiere Pro (compeition to FCP made by Adobe) can import FCP projects but I'm not sure if that was for FC7 or FCX. which do you have? Final Cut Pro X or 7 (or 6 even?)

Premiere isn't too different to FCP, at least to the older ones; I've found it easy going from Premiere to FCP7

You could technically build a 'hackintosh' where you use approved parts, build a PC, and dual-boot Mac OSX and Windows. Results vary from works seamlessly to completely unuseable.

FCP is only Mac-based - that's why they can sell it so cheap; they take a loss on the software itself, but it helps them boost sales of their computer platform.

You certainly could export an XML or EDL from FCP and import that into any other software that imports XML or EDL.

Back