• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Express Upgrade?

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, at the moment i have final cut express, i have enjoyed using it for the past year or so, but i am slowly finding its limitations..... with my birthday being this weekend... the question is should i upgrade from FCE to the new FC X.

i have heard a lot of mixed reviews from people switching over from FC Studio, but coming from FCE would FC X be seen as a step up or more of a sideways move?

I wouldn't upgrade to the new FCP X if I were you.

Apparently, Apple removed support for a few formats (not sure which ones, but ones still in fairly common use), added some unnecessary "features" (such as that new magnetic snap thing), and overall it's just not a pro application.

The ratings for it are terrible and the reviews are less than favorable. Honestly, my favorite video editing program is Sony Vegas, but it's only available on PC. Sony should fix that. :P

No EDLs

No OMFs

Those are the two that affect me most. There have apparently been quite a few other omissions as well.

I have also heard that there are so many bugs you may need to call an exterminator.

It will be an upgrade in some respects and a step backwards in many others. Final Cut Pro X may do everything you want to do at the moment, but I think Adobe Premiere Pro would be a better long-term investment in terms of both time and money.

If I recall correctly FCE doesn't handle 24p footage. I have to ask my kids to be sure they use iMovie and FCE. I use FCP6 and just got FCPX. I don't have the iMovie hangup because I never used it. Just cracking the surface on FCPX. It's very different but there is a lot it can do. Waiting to see what Apple does next with it.

As far as I know FCE and FCP7 were discontinued.

Back