Final Cut Export

With the Final Cut versions I've used (currently 6), if I use EXPORT it basically gives me a huge uncompressed version. My full version of Us Sinners is close to 18gigs.

If I use the EXPORT QUICKTIME CONVERSION I do HIGH and MED resolution for youtube clips.

Since we're shooting in HD when I use the EXPORT, will it automatically export it in HD? If not, are there preferences I need to set-up so it will do that?

By default, FCP will export at the resolution set in your sequence settings using an automatic bitrate, which for my stuff is around 25-30Mbps. This will certainly create a large file. You need to go into the compression options and change the bitrate from automatic to either constant or variable (depending on content) and drop it down to an acceptable level. I prefer using a constant bitrate.

For HD exports @ 1920x1080 used for film fest presentation, I normally drop the bitrate down to around 12 Mbps (12,000kbps). For Web distribution, I drop it down to around 1.5 to 2.5 Mbps. It's a balancing act between quality and files size.

I always export using Compressor instead of directly from FCP. I know it will do a multi-pass encode, which I'm not sure FCP will do. That will give you a cleaner encode.

Hope this helps somewhat: I use FCP 6, too, and when exporting HD for the web I first do a Quicktime export (NOT self-contained), then I import that into compressor and use the h.264 setting, but I always scale it down to 1280x720 to reduce the file size. It still looks great on the web, although I use Vimeo. I don't know if youtube has the ability to show 1280x720.

Back