Films: Best of 2013

What were your top films of 2013

Any other general thoughts on 2013s releases?

Here's mine

1. Gravity
2. Prisoners
3. Catching Fire (fanboy...)

I also throughly enjoyed:
Olympus has Fallen
Oblivion
Now you see me
Desolation of Smaug

Captain Phillips was by far the most overrated film for me, possibly though because I'm not American.

2013 Films that I still want to see: Frozen, Wolf of Wall St, Possibly The Book Thief, Monsters University

Here's a list of major releases for those struggling to remember back to January of 2013 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_in_film

Last edited:
The Hobbit. The World's End. Still haven't caught Catching Fire, but I expect that'll be on my list too. Also, Iron Man 3 was pretty awesome.

Her - Poetic and thought-provoking masterpiece. The finest film of the year.

12 Years a Slave - Another masterpiece from McQueen.

Gravity - A perfect mixture of all aspects of filmmaking.

Blue Jasmine - Fantastic acting and masterful storytelling with a nice score and clever twists and turns.

Place Beyond the Pines - It did drag, but the haunting score and chilling moments made for one of the most painful and beautiful films I've seen.

Upstream Color was surreal, beautiful, creepy, and hypnotic. Both a great example of experimentalism and indie filmmaking on the rise.

The World's End and This is the End both dragged at times, and died out at the end a bit, but were both over the top and fun films to watch.

The Book Thief wasn't the greatest film this year. It did get weak, unrealistic, and inaccurate at times, but it kept my eyes glued to the screen, and it was surprisingly refreshing with it's sudden dark change in tone and strong melancholy undertones. Can't believe it was marketed towards kids.

The Conjuring actually freaked me out. Sure, flawed, but the job of a horror movie is to scare and make uncomfortable, and that's what the movie did, therefore it's one of the best horror films of the year, at least for me. Must be viewed with great sound and in the dark.

Anchorman 2 isn't as good as the first, but carried a strong message that is important for audiences to hear (news is becoming what people WANT to hear, not what they should hear). Funny as well. I did genuinely laugh my @$$ off a few times, so I give the movie credit for that.

I've missed out on a lot of stuff. Wolf of Wall Street, Catching Fire, American Hustle, All is Lost, 12 Years a Slave, etc. But I look forward to watching more so, cool :)

Last edited:
Best films of 2013:

Gravity (the best theatre experience I've had in a long time)
Captain Phillips (Tom Hanks is incredible)
Fruitvale Station
Rush

Notable Mentions:
The Spectacular Now, American Hustle, Frozen, Stoker, Place Beyond the Pines, Star Trek Into Darkness, Monsters University, The Way Way Back, The Hobbit DoS

Am looking forward to seeing (of movies release in '13 in the USA):
12 Years a Slave, Short Term 12, The Book Thief, Upstream Colour, Anchorman 2, Don Jon, Philomena, Saving Mr Banks, Wolf of Wall St.

Overall, a pretty decent year in film.

Okay, darn. Whatever I said in another thread, looking at the mentions here I realize I haven't seen a crapload of 2013's films. Oh boy.

I have to agree with you, Miles. Captain Phillips didn't live up to the hype for me, either. But I still love Tom Hanks.

I love Alfonso Cuaron's films, but unfortunately I didn't fall in love with Gravity like most everyone else seems to have. That might change.

Of the ones I've seen:

I actually liked Oblivion, too.

Star Trek Into Darkness.

I can't say I love Only God Forgives. But darn, it is beautifully shot. Love the score. And Kristen Scott Thomas's performance is grand. Her performance reminds me a lot of Jessica Lange's performances in Amercian Horror Story, which are all way over the top, but also @#$%^ing brilliant. Kristen, I love you!

Catching Fire was quite good.

Saving Mr. Banks.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Yeah, I liked it.

But yeah, darn, I realize now how much I haven't seen yet. On the other hand, I'm kind of surprised there weren't more interesting films this past year.

I'll add; Most disappointing: The Counsellor (oh man, who wrote that script? So much potential...) and Elysium

I'll also +1 the cinematography in Only God Forgives (though I wasn't a fan of the film), and I was also a fan of the cinematography in Place Beyond the Pines.

I'd say the worst film was Great Gatsby. I know few will disagree, but this film truly bothered me. The acting was average, the pacing was strange, the soundtrack was unfitting, it was far too stylized, in both it's visual and audio elements. It didn't keep the charm, message, or tone of it's source material. It was often times far too sentimental and corny, and overall the film kept messy and cluttered. I hated the film. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope he doesn't try to adapt any classic literature again.

Place beyond the pines was my favourite.

I agree. It dragged at times, but it has some of the greatest moments to hit the screen, in my opinion. One of the best film scores I've heard as well. People can say that the movies of [insert decade here] were the best, but I think that the art of film is becoming better and more refined, and this movie is an example of that. Just my opinion :)

I haven't seen many films that were released this year so I am just going by what I have actually seen:

Man of Steel, Gravity, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, The Wolverine.

Man of Steel for Superman, Lois Lane and General Zod, the fight sequences, the music and tone.

Gravity for a cinematic experience I have never felt before and the music. Sandra Bullock's performance was excellent and I know this is a fickle comment to make that has nothing to do with story but Sandra has such a beautiful body on display in this movie.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug for the acting from all the cast, the music and being absorbed into the world of Middle-Earth on the big screen for the fifth time.

The Wolverine for giving Logan a vulnerability he hasn't experienced before, the themes of him being a Ronin, Hugh Jackman's performance, the fight sequences.

Just coming in from an international perspective to add some variety to this list. Some of the great world cinema masters released great films in 2013:

The Grandmaster directed by Wong Kar-Wai
Stray Dogs directed by Tsai Ming-liang
A Touch of Sin directed by Jia Zhangke
Our Sunhi directed by Hong Sang-soo
Nobody's Daughter Haewon directed by Hong Sang-soo
Blind Detective directed by Johnnie To
The Wind Rises directed by Hayao Miyazaki
Tokyo Family directed by Yoji Yamada
Bastards directed by Claire Denis
North, the End of History directed by Lav Diaz
Blue Jasmine directed by Woody Allen

Some other important films:
Blue Is The Warmest Color directed by Abdellatif Kechiche
Camille Claudel, 1915 directed by Bruno Dumont
Nebraska directed by Alexander Payne
Upstream Color directed by Shane Carruth
and many more of course!

These films along with the popular choices already mentioned in the thread make me feel like 2013 was another great year for cinema! I haven't had the opportunity to see all of the films mentioned (even in my own list) due to the lack of access where I am, however I look forward to catching up to watching all of these masterpieces!

Last edited:
hmm best films in no particular order:

Turbo - gotta love snails
Only God Forgives - you gotta watch it twice to understand it properly and its purpose
Monsters University - another great film
Catching Fire - it was a good film but for me it could have easily been cut down it was longed out a bit, but much different to the first i think and more graphic.
Oblivion - thought this was a pretty cool film.

Escape from Tomorrow ans The Quietness

I think two of the best independent films are listed above.Escape from tomorrow was filmed at Disney Land without permission but has a very novel Approach. This is a model for the producer who is on a budget.Here is the link.http://www.disneyeveryday.com/illeg...d-and-walt-disney-world-escape-from-tomorrow/

British in dependent "The Quietness" another budget film, but I assure you, that you will not be able to sit down on this one.

Back