• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Filming with green screen - Virtual zoom vs Camera zoom

I was wondering if there was a major difference between down scaling 4K green screen footage to 1080 vs zooming and manually changing shots from wide to medium with a camera lens.

I'm going to be filming a video where all of the environment will be cartoon and made in adobe illustrator. My plan is to just record the subject as full body and do the zooming in after effects to create medium shots/close ups.

Is there any problem with that? Will it look amateur? Should I be filming the medium shots manually with the camera?

Thanks.

Digital zooming means throwing away pixels. You can never do a real close up like that.
And filmen 4K doing greenscreen and than convert the 4K movie to 1080p will hide any edges better than when you don't have the resolution to scaledown a 4K close up to 1080p.

So yes, I think you should film the medium shots manually.

Digital zooming means throwing away pixels. You can never do a real close up like that.
And filmen 4K doing greenscreen and than convert the 4K movie to 1080p will hide any edges better than when you don't have the resolution to scaledown a 4K close up to 1080p.

So yes, I think you should film the medium shots manually.

Thanks for the advice^^

One major reason I was considering doing it that way is because I'm being charged a lot more than what I thought I would to rent a green screen room.

I really need to film as much as I can for the amount of time I have the room rented out and being able to digital zoom would save me the time of doing more takes.

Do you think I can take the risk? Or is it just not worth it at all? The backgrounds will be all cartoon so do you think I can afford a little pixel loss because of that?

I do want a professional look for this so if it's something not worth doing then I will plan ahead to have the separate medium shots recorded.

Thanks!

Back