Filming business EXTERIORS

I am in the middle of pre-production on a short film I'm hoping to shoot within the next few weeks, but something occurred to me: for several scenes, I need to shoot in front of a business (in this case, a motel). If I receive their verbal permission, are there any other legalities I need to consider in order to film the exterior of this business?

Also, to film the shot, I intend to stand on another business's property. Again, same question goes: if they allow my crew and me to stand and shoot the scene, what other forms of permission are needed?

While you're here, let me bother you with another question: filming in public (not a park or whatnot), such as railroad tracks, a neighborhood street (leaving homes/people out), etc.?

Thanks!

If you're on the business' property, then a signed location agreement should be all that is necessary. If, by 'in front of' you mean perhaps on a footpath or sidewalk, that land may be owned by the local council, and you'd therefore have to seek permission and permits from local council - same goes for filming in public locations.

While you're here, let me bother you with another question: filming in public (not a park or whatnot), such as railroad tracks, a neighborhood street (leaving homes/people out), etc.?

Railroad tracks are not public property or in the public domain. RR's will prosecute for trespassing on tracks, bridges, tunnels or other right of way locations. Abandoned railroad tracks might be the exception but they still belong to somebody. Due to liability issues it might be difficult to get permission to film if being on the RR is in the plot of the movie. If the RR is just in the background there should be no issue.

Back