Film Gear Setup

Hi all, new member here. I have decided to make a short narrative film, about 10 minutes or so. I am familiar with the process as back in the day I took some film classes and made a super 16mm movie and then did an internship at USC film school for a summer (as a PA) where we made a 35mm movie with an Arriflex.

Now that I'm older (er, maybe old, lol), I have the time and money to actually give this dream a try.

I'm trying to gather the gear to shoot a horror film. Myself and maybe one other person will handle the production, so we are talking about a run and gun thing here.

This is the equipment I have purchased. I decided to go with all new stuff since I've had some many problems with used purchases through eBay. Please let me know if you think I'm missing anything.

Post production

MacBook Pro retina
FCP X
Motion
Magic Bullet Suite
I have a bit of a sound studio here at home with nice monitors and isolated recording area as well (in case overdubbing or foley is needed).

Video Production gear

Canon 5D Mark III
Canon 7D (backup camera and for alternate focal lengths)
Lexar 64GB 1000x CF card
Sandisk extreme pro 32GB CF card
Lexar usb3 card reader
Bag for camera, lens, and stuff
3 lp-e3 batteries
Zeiss zf.2 f2.0 100mm
Zeiss zf.2 f1.4 50mm
Zeiss zf.2 f2.0 25mm
3 B&W clear view UV haze filters
3 Fotodiox pro EF adapters
Heliopan 82mm variable gray ND filter (pricey)
3 stepup rings for ND filter
Sachtler 0351 Cine DLSR tripod and fluid head system
Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 Fluid Video Monopod with Head
Zacuto scorpion shoulder rig (pricey!)
Zacuto zfinder 2.5x pro
Zacuto Z-EVF-1F EVF Flip-Up Electronic View Finder

Sound production gear
Rode Boompole Microphone Boom Arm
JuicedLink RM333 Riggy Micro Low-Noise Preamp
Rode NTG-3
Rode SM3 shock mount
Rode Deadcat
Zoom H4N

Misc
Cables
Sandbags
Grip tape
Some basic tools
Some books

Planning on doing a run and gun style with available light, mostly outdoors. To cut the budget a little bit i decided to wait on getting a follow focus and the duclos mods to the ZF lens.

How does this setup look? See anything I'm missing and going to regret not having on the field? Just want to prevent as many OMG moments as possible.

Last edited:
I really want to use the monitoring and other new capabilities of the 5d3 audio, so my plan is to go from NTG-3 to JL Riggy and from there into the 5d for capture.

Am I missing something there?

I do actually own a Zoom H4N, so I could use that as an alternative capture source.

It is definitely a pricey setup, but I have learned over the years, get the best or you will pay 3x from upgrades and grief.

Last edited:
If you use the cameras audio input, you may as well shoot yourself, use the zoom

Thanks for the advice. I'll do some testing both ways.

I've got KrK monitors, cubase and a good sound setup (RME AIO) so I'll be able to tell the difference if the quality is affected. I will look at that closely.

Last edited:
Back