• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Feeling, meaning or situation - which of them is a good start?

I need an idea for a short film (15 minutes), as fast as I can. I have 2 weeks to come with a final draft script (maybe not final, but something I can start working on it to shoot).

I can start with a feeling I want the audience to feel (hope, despair, love, compassion, anger)
I can start with a meaning, something that can teach a lesson
Or I can start with a situation, something that happens (what, where, how, why and when)

Which of these triggers would you suggest me to start from?

I think it depends on the kind of writer and director you are. If you instinctively want to write/direct action, then choose a situation and populate it with characters. If you veer towards dialogue or character studies, then maybe consider one of the others.

The hardest is probably meaning - as no matter how hard you try, your intended meaning or lesson can be misconstrued easily.

Feelings are easy to do badly (just watch a soap opera), but can be effective if handled well.

Situation is probably most common for short films.

So take your pick! Maybe watch some shorts you like and notice how they approach the triggers.

The hardest is probably meaning - as no matter how hard you try, your intended meaning or lesson can be misconstrued easily.

Feelings are easy to do badly (just watch a soap opera), but can be effective if handled well.
Wow. That's pretty deep.

I'd personally go with feelings, but as Maz says, if you can do it effectively.

Just start watching some Spielberg movies to get started. Some people (-cough- independent filmmakers -cough-) don't agree with me when I say this, but in my opinion he's a genius when it comes to controlling audience emotions. The man is all about feelings, joy, sadness, fear; whatever the feeling, he'll make you feel it. And he doesn't beat you over the head with it either. So put on a Spielberg DVD and start thinking.

Cheers

Street artist drawing picture of people , unexpectedly sees customer to be his EX-gf and her hubby.20 min ,he request to complete the oil painting of theirs on spot.
she never been happy about him being serious about earning by painting.she left.
their past time spend there itself re ocurring . while leaving, just a one more leaf to get drop of tree as usual.
He paints only her than her along with her hubby.

teach a lesson?

fade in -
guy doing stand up comedy to audience ,
v.0- peoples apploud and laugh insanely.

fade out
fade in-
guy alone in room .guy got parcel by his name . parcel contain bomb and suicide jacket.
timer trigger for 10 seconds. checks timer connected , stops at 8 sec.guy's hands never shake.
early morning wears jacket and timer bomb fixed , leaves early morning on street destined victim , school.

while walking on street he sees , drunken retard(street performer) clown doing act for himself.

enters school campus,

v.o, rush hour and voice of students.
enters corridor to see class room,
v.o - rush voice of teaching and kids talking.

enters library,
wall clock , and foot steps.

sees -section for kinder area,
enters kinder area,
v.o- kids playing .

finds one class of kindergarden.
enters and sees corner of class room to be full of dumped toys and curtain.
hides there waite for time.
v.o bell rings.
v.o - prayer.
v.o- foot steps and kids voice becoming close from corridor.
shades of curtain , kindergarden kids in class a few.
they lauf, scream , funny.
guy's hands shake to switch the trigger for next 10 sec.

clock tic , 1 .2 .3.
v.0-clock tic.
kids become silent and turn towards him.

tears in his eyes .
stops the trigger at 8 with shaking hand.
runs out of class room , while kids look confused,
few kids even come out to watch innocently him go out.
busy class hour , corridor free, few staff passing by, he rushes.
gets out the gate of school.
runs on road.
while running takes out the jacket , tigger the clock and trows at 9th sec, to pond. to see blast inside water.
keeps running on long street to see clown(street performer)
tears in eyes,tired and on knees in front of clown(street performer) .
joker clown looking at him eating breakfast from tiffen box.
guy to clown 'make me laugh'.
clown minds his business .
takes out some penny and dollor from packet throws at him,
tears in eyes guy say to clown, "can you make me laugh?"
clown closes tiffen box keeps walking away with his luggage makind sound while being dragged.

guy yelling at clown," I bet you cant "

fade out .
fade in ,

guy doing stand up comedy to audience ,
v.0- peoples apploud and laugh insanely.

Last edited:
I think I have an idea. It teaches a lesson, it has an emotional burst. It is (or supposed to be) a comedy/dramedy. But it lacks events. It has a beginning an an ending. No middle. And I can't think of any final punch-line (comedies are not comedies without them).

I also thought about taking a random joke and shoot it as a short film. What do you think?

And, I have another idea, which has all of the 3 elements. It has no dialogue, which might be an advantage. But there is no way I can make it more than 4-5 min.

Write story about comedians.

Two guys meet in rush way , misunderstanding,enough -bit fight , and leave the place and go on their way.

/one of the guy reaches pub and starts stand up comedy, he explains the comedy fight just happened on the way.
but, here he gives up his ego explaining story and puts himself in position of guy recieving threat and punches from some strong guy.
at the same time the second guy (who was part of fight appears in same pub listening the story)
people apploud, watching it , he makes much more fun of himself in that story making.

The first guy ends his act , he recieves the name of next comedian from side stage and announces it.
to his surprise it's second guy , appear for next act.

Now second guy , aims at giving up ego , and makes up story , where he been more pathetic compared to the first guy in the same fight.

At last ,making story of being caught up in pathetic situation and becoming a joke in front of others to recieve more apploud than other-just for the sake EGO competation .
Leave EGO for sake of it's growth !!!
name of the story EGO !!

I can start with a feeling I want the audience to feel (hope, despair, love, compassion, anger)
I can start with a meaning, something that can teach a lesson
Or I can start with a situation, something that happens (what, where, how, why and when)

Which of these triggers would you suggest me to start from?

YES IS THE ANSWER!!! ALL THREE ARE MANDATORY!!!

Back