• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch FEAR Thriller movie i made

Here is a thriller movie a made with friends , I really worked on the audio so please use earphones or headphones

And also i used little bit SFX and special effects we talk turkish in the movie but thats no problem , because there is hardly no talking at all . Please comment so i can learn from my mistakes.

Here is the link to the movie on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLn29EX--EM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

It was well started - very quickly in with action and a threat: though still unknown. However, I felt it lost steam part-way through. The characters should be more agitated - more worried. They weren't scrabbling desperately to open to door, or barging ahead of each other to get out. They even are walking at many points!

I think the effects may be a little over-done: was it necessary to 'shatter' the camera glass at the beginning? It's an interesting effect - but does it mean anything? It also breaks the fourth wall. Also the title cards come too late - they could be the very first thing. Probably shouldn't still be hanging around halfway through.

There's quite tight framing - which, in this circumstance, is a positive. It starts in a cramped environment - claustrophobic. It would have been good to see that go somewhere - I think too quickly they get out into the outside (or, at least, the outside is very visible). The outside should be an escape - if they can see it already, you don't fear as much for them.

I'd echo the points RyiGarry makes and I'd add that I think the music at the end was really good but one thing that is, I guess you could say cliche, is the sound effect of the heartbeat. I'd suggest altering the sound of the heartbeat in such a way that it sounds more eerie than a standard sounding heartbeat, which would add a bit of uniqueness.

As a side note I've seen quite a lot of short films recently that have a heartbeat as a sound effect used in them but this is the first one where I could see potential for a different sounding heartbeat to occur.

But please keep doing more and more because you will get much better each time.

I really worked on the audio so please use earphones or headphones ... And also i used little bit SFX and special effects we talk turkish in the movie but thats no problem , because there is hardly no talking at all.

Using sound design to increase tension or other emotional responses indicates a better understanding of film than most inexperienced filmmakers. However, for sound design to be effective there must be some understandable storytelling logic to it's use and an understanding of the implications of individual sound FX. The sound design needs to collaborate with the visuals to tell the story not contradict them! Let me give you some examples:

1. To start with you use surreal (non-diagetic) sound FX + realistic sound FX (diagetic/of the location). Later you use only non-diagetic sound and no diagetic sound, other times you only use diagetic sound and no non-diagetic sound and sometimes you switch abruptly in the middle of a scene for no apparent reason. There appears to be no storytelling logic to when you use one, the other, both together or when you switch between them.

2. You use various crackles in places. These crackles are reminiscent of (imply) walkie-talkie radios or a vinyl record player but as there are no walkie-talkies or vinyl record players in the visuals, implied by the visuals or indicated in the story, these sound FX are contradictory!

3. The use of the heartbeat implies we are experiencing the action from one of the character's POV, yet there is nothing in the visuals (or story) which supports a character POV, so again, this sound FX is contradictory. Also, there's no logic to it's use, why do we hear the heartbeat for those few seconds at that point in the scene/shot? What is different about that particular instant in the film, what are you trying to say/make your audience feel?

These are just a few of many similar examples. Added together, these contradictions and lack of apparent logic serves to confuse the audience and pull them out of the story, which is presumably the exact opposite of your intention!

Sorry if all this criticism sounds harsh, as I said, you are already ahead of many/most amateur filmmakers just in appreciating the value of sound design as a filmmaking tool but you are going to need to put a little more thought and logic into how you use sound design in order to make it an effective filmmaking tool.

One last point, NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES recommend or instruct your audience to listen at high volume, especially with headphones and even more especially with in ear monitors/earphones! It doesn't just demonstrate an ignorance of audio, it's potentially EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, so please, remove it immediately!

G

Using sound design to increase tension or other emotional responses indicates a better understanding of film than most inexperienced filmmakers. However, for sound design to be effective there must be some understandable storytelling logic to it's use and an understanding of the implications of individual sound FX. The sound design needs to collaborate with the visuals to tell the story not contradict them! Let me give you some examples:

1. To start with you use surreal (non-diagetic) sound FX + realistic sound FX (diagetic/of the location). Later you use only non-diagetic sound and no diagetic sound, other times you only use diagetic sound and no non-diagetic sound and sometimes you switch abruptly in the middle of a scene for no apparent reason. There appears to be no storytelling logic to when you use one, the other, both together or when you switch between them.

2. You use various crackles in places. These crackles are reminiscent of (imply) walkie-talkie radios or a vinyl record player but as there are no walkie-talkies or vinyl record players in the visuals, implied by the visuals or indicated in the story, these sound FX are contradictory!

3. The use of the heartbeat implies we are experiencing the action from one of the character's POV, yet there is nothing in the visuals (or story) which supports a character POV, so again, this sound FX is contradictory. Also, there's no logic to it's use, why do we hear the heartbeat for those few seconds at that point in the scene/shot? What is different about that particular instant in the film, what are you trying to say/make your audience feel?

These are just a few of many similar examples. Added together, these contradictions and lack of apparent logic serves to confuse the audience and pull them out of the story, which is presumably the exact opposite of your intention!

Sorry if all this criticism sounds harsh, as I said, you are already ahead of many/most amateur filmmakers just in appreciating the value of sound design as a filmmaking tool but you are going to need to put a little more thought and logic into how you use sound design in order to make it an effective filmmaking tool.

One last point, NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES recommend or instruct your audience to listen at high volume, especially with headphones and even more especially with in ear monitors/earphones! It doesn't just demonstrate an ignorance of audio, it's potentially EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, so please, remove it immediately!

G

No , Thank you sir :D i am hear to learn from my mistakes thank you very much for taking the time to give me so many tips

Back