FCP7 Gamma shift?

Hi folks,

Having just changed my MBP out for a fully specced mac mini for editing, I have now come across the gamma shift issue with FCP7.

Basically when exporting via compressor the gamma gets changed and the footage looks washed out and over exposed. I have come up with somewhat of a work around, changing the gamma to 1.9 when exporting, but it still isn't quite right and I worry now how it will look on other monitors, it seems stupid to spend so long colour grading to get it perfect then export it and only be able to achieve something kind of resembling what you wanted but not quite right.

Strangely I never had this issue on my MBP as I'm guessing the gamma on that was the same as what came out of the camera/FCP7.

Surely there is away around this?Otherwise what is the point of adjusting the colouring at all as at the end of it you don't get what you wanted anyway?

Cheers.

ap0x.png

As an FCP 7.03 user, I have the same issue. Way back when, I solved it by enabling FCS colour compatibility in QT preferences.

Otherwise, there is a rumour that you have to calibrate everything and a couple of software packages will fix it - specifically, X-rite Display Pro and Color Eyes Display Pro.

Third option is I don't know what your workflow is but can you send it from Color (sic) straight back to FCP rather than passing by compressor? Don't know if this will work but it has worked for me in the past.

If this all works, just pop into the narrative section and review my last vid - and give useful, critical suggestions. I know it's not the best (I have shot a much better music vid since then) but let me know.

I looked at changing the quicktime viewer settings but all that will do is adjust how it looks on my monitor, I want it to look right to the client when they view it on youtube.

Does FCPX have this issue?Or Adobe Premiere? I will try passing it through resolve and exporting from there but it seems a long way around something that should be really simple, what a stupid feature.

Is it possible that you have Final Cut set to use a strange color profile? If the settings for your video window and the settings for your output don't match up you can get some pretty significant shift.

Hey, if i remember correcly its that the gamma of fcp is 1.8 and where as the gamma of mac os is 2.2. The problem with this is when you are in fcp your looking at a viewer set to 1.8 (looking darker) and when you export its shown at the standard 2.2 (pc tv etc). So your grade in fcp becomes brighter because the gamma is 2.2 in pretty much everything else Mac used to be 1.8 but changed to 2.2. Any way i dont know the way around it but i know the problem. Its pretty well documented. Look up stuff to do with final cut pro 1.8 and 2.2 gamma.

The way i used to deal with it was to grade in another program. You could try find a way to change the gamma to 2.2 in fcp. Also could try nest and compensate by 0.4 so in theory will look dark but be ok on export. But ive not got the program so cant test and have not used it for ages so cant say much more. GL its a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Thanks folks,

Does anybody know the native gamma of apple colour?If that is 2.2 I will just use that to grade then import back into FCP7 before exporting. I can't seem to get resolve to play nicely with my system currently.

As a secondary issue, I am using an Acer dual monitor setup with my mac mini, what is going to be the best colour profile for me to use over all? I know nothing about them but don't want it to be all wrong from the outset.

Back