• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

FCP exporting...

This is my third post in a row...haha... but anyway, one last question, this one is about exporting process... so if I finish my project, and I export it using Quicktime no self-contained movie, Will this give no compression at all?... Will this be the same as, let's say, nesting?... Would it be better to nest a sequence?... I want to know what would be the best way to join all of my clips and have only one sequence... and the reason I'm using a non self-contained export, it's because it renders faster, and then I send that reference file to FCP, and export it again as a self-contained movie, or sometimes I export to a lower resolution with Mpeg Streamclip, using as a source file the non self-contained file... What are your processes when exporting from FCP??....

non-self contained movies are also known as reference movie files... they point to the actual files and provide no compression or encapsulation of the files referenced.

They are fast for export and moving from one program to another, but they are very fragile and break if any of the files referenced are moved or go corrupt.

I prefer a final export of a self contained full rez quicktime movie, which can then be transcoded into anything I want.

Back