• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

fake slow shutter speed without ND filter?

Hello all,
I have a shoot for a music video tomorrow and I need a quick fix for the following problem:

We are going to be shooting in a very bright area near a lake. I would like to be able to maintain a shutter speed twice the framerate (24p) in order to achieve a film-like look, but I have no ND filter available to me. I have tried welder's glass but it's far too dark (all the stores in my area only have shade #10). The local photography store doesn't have what I need (or rather, can afford).

I am thinking that the only way to pull this off is to shoot at a much higher shutter speed and then attempt to emulate the look of a slow shutter speed using motion blur in post. If anyone has any suggestions or experience with this, please reply quickly as the shoot is tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

What camera do you have? I know that on my camera, the Canon T2i, that if i shoot at f22, with the ISO at 100, that can a lot of times, be low enough exposure that you can bring the shutter speed to 1/48, or 1/50 for some cameras.

Unless you want a shallow DOF in which case that will not work.

Back