• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Exporting Sound for a theater

I'm trying to export sound from Final Cut Pro for a film that will be played in a movie theater. I tried exporting it once and it only played in the front speakers of the theater while other movies played in all speakers of the theater. I asked the theater owner what was wrong, but he did not know. Any suggestions?

We'll need a lot more information.

Is the theater 5.1 or 7.1?

What is your bussing/channel assignments? (How are the sounds assigned? i.e. L-C-R-LFE-LS-RS)

Did you do the audio post/mix in FCP, or was the mix done in a DAW and then imported into FCP?

What type of audio monitoring are you using?

This is really APEs domain, so hopefully he'll chime in.

There are many potential causes but as Alcove said we need more information to narrow it down. What level of experience/knowledge do you have with audio? For example, if you are a novice on the audio side of film making, what most likely happened is that the sound in the cinema only came out of the left and right front speakers because you made/exported a stereo mix, whereas all the other films had a 5.1 mix. If you're not a novice, then routing and/or channel naming could be the culprit. Which media type did you use to submit your exhibition print, DVD/BluRay, HDCAM, DCP?

G

Back