export setting in after effects?

het guys, what settings should i use to export? Ive been doing it lossless and the as a quicktime movie. I wanna then import the footage to final cut to edit the whole piece. What is the best setting so I dont lose quality?

Lossless/Uncompressed is my favorite export. The other formats that are uncompressed will be full quality image sequences, but they can be larger sometimes than uncompressed (I think?).

Your doing the right thing. Though you can pick QT with photo jpeg, PNG, or Animation.. animation is the highest quality. I dont know FCP, does it reconvert everything anyway to Prores or some silliness like that?

you MIGHT consider PNG or JPG sequence, where every frame is saved as an individual file. This is good for Photo Shop batch processing and some other post processing stuff..

thanks guys. another problem im having (im playing around with action essentials) is that after i export, i play it in QT but it freezes in random moments. Then i replay it and it might work or freeze at another point. what could it be?

Thats the price for High Quality. Its not playable. Everyone has this problem. So dont worry about it. Export to a playback codex like QT .h264 for VIEWING..... this LOSSLESS stuff is ONLY for further POST PROCESSING, not for final delivery.

You might reconsider your work flow.
I use AE as my FINAL step. I lock the edit in Premiere(meaning nothing is going to change in the editor) then import THAT into After Effects, then I add VFX, title, and CC.
I render a SMALL version of that and import that into my Sound editing tools (soudbooth, or cubase) create the sound track, export that audio, then back into AE, import the new audio, .. render a PLAYBACK version for my viewing pleasure, and sometimes a lossless master for DVD creating etc..

wheatgrinder i did not know that, thanks.
what about a long video? even feature? would you still do AE last? would that take to long?
what does the lossless setting mean? i heard someone say its bad. what kind of format is it? i just tried bring my AE footage into FCP the exporting and there was no problem with the playback.
when would i use compressor? Do you ever use it?
thanks for the help

Sorry, FCP is out of my area. Others here though know more.

Though, playback of the uncompressed files in premiere is also good, this is because premiere (and Ill guess FCP) are doing their own rendering rather then just PLAYING back your source files.

Iv never done a feature, so I dont know. Seems that there might be some adjustments.

wheatgrinder i did not know that, thanks.
what about a long video? even feature? would you still do AE last? would that take to long?
what does the lossless setting mean? i heard someone say its bad. what kind of format is it? i just tried bring my AE footage into FCP the exporting and there was no problem with the playback.
when would i use compressor? Do you ever use it?
thanks for the help

Long videos take space. My longest short, NOBLE, rings in at around 12:08 after credits. The uncompressed 1920x1080 file at 23.98 fps is just under 80 GB. For features, this is where a multi disk raid becomes necessary to store and playback files.

For my workflow I do the main video edit and basic dialogue/Set sound edit in Premiere, then export to AFX for visual effects. After the VFX are done, I leave it in AFX and color correct/grade every clip (usually adding vignettes and false lighting). After that, I send it back to premiere (exporting uncompressed) and tweak any edits that look funny after VFX. Now that everything video wise is in place, I bounce the audio into as many tracks as I can and send it to the audio editor who magically makes it sound great, adding sound effects and what not where needed. He also scores it. We do ADR if needed as well. He bounces out the final mix, I take it back to premiere and marry it with the final footage. Then, export through Media encoder to different compressed formats for different uses. YouTube likes one h.264 file, Vineo another. Without a box and IMDB want 1280x720 footage so I make a version for that. I encode it to SD Mp2 for DVD and then in HD again for BluRay. Wherever it's going you tailor the compression for it.

Lossless is uncompressed. When you compress video, you lose information. Watch so e low quality YouTube videos, look at all the square junk all over the video. They're super compressed. You keep it uncompressed till the final output, because if you compress footage to send it to AFX, then compress again to send to Final Cut, then again for YouTube or whatever that's three times, each losing kore and more data. It's not bad, just huge hard-to-work-with files.

Again, you use compressor as your last step, outputting for each individual need.

Back