Entry Level DSLR's on the big screen?

Hi. I'm hoping to upgrade my camera sometime in the near future (probably Christmas) and I'm just wondering about some things.

First off, I have a Nikon D5100 right now so I'm hoping to upgrade to another Nikon since I already have multiple lenses for it. From what I've read on it lately, Nikon is certainly competing with Canon now with entry level DSLR video. Is that true? Is the D5300 a good camera to look at for an upgrade or will it not make a ton of difference from the D5100? From what I'm reading and seeing, it looks like it'll be a pretty big step up.

Next, I'm curious about film festivals and things like that. I have no idea about stuff when it comes to the details of pixels and coding and all of that stuff. So, if I were to shoot something on the D5300, is the quality good enough to go on a big screen? Would I need a better camera than an entry level camera? Like a 5D or something since that's what I see most of the successful DSLR features are shot on.

Sorry for my noobness. I'm just very cautious when buying new things like this and want to get as much information from as many places as I can before making a decision.

Even if I went with the super low budget indie filmmaker route and used an iPhone, do you think that would make a difference if I got the guy to work his magic in post?

Again, I know nothing about audio, so I'm not even sure how much you can improve it in post. I would assume a fair amount, right? As long as it's not 100% terrible.

I've got perfectly usable audio from iphones, using the hands free headphone/mic included. It takes a fair bit of work, and some decent plugins, but it can be done. I wouldn't recommend it though if given a choice. Polishing turds aint fun. :no:

And is the audio that bad in the first one? I thought it was relatively decent for what I was working with. Maybe a little bit of noise because I forgot to turn my fish tank filter off haha, but is that one at least workable if I give it to someone to fix with their fancy computer skillz?

TBH, it was all pretty bad. Depends entirely on how much time and skill you/they have at your/thier disposal. But yeah, it's workable, but certainly not preferable. (see above).

Just remember that a system is only as strong as it's weakest point. Start at the ground up with some good source material, and subsequent stages are easier, faster and better as a result.

Last edited:
It really matters how you use the gear you have. Perhaps the levels are not set well, the mic is not close enough, it was aimed slightly off, or it was sweetened enough in post.

For making audio sound "better" in post, the best thing that you can do is send it to an audio post house.... or of course really study up. www.google.com might have something on it ;)

Some tips:

Stay away from anything that makes any form of noise, even soft humming. Fridges, air conditioners, computers, televisions, fish tanks.

When location scouting, pull out a recorder and record sound in your location.

Don't wear clothes and shoes that make noise.

When audio is being recorded, it SHOULD ALWAYS BE BEING LISTENED TO BY SOMEONE.

Set your levels.

I except Alcove to join in...

Back