• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Engineering Final - Solidworks & 3ds Max

A 3 person group created the following animation as our last project in a 3d modeling class in 2006.

Guidelines were you had to take something apart, modeling it to a 1/16" inch, and then show some kind of animation that describes how the pieces all fit together. This was followed by an action sequence showing how some part of it actually works (brake caliper).

Music was required, so we did our best to find something fitting. I actually did all the animation work while 2 others modeled more and more parts, and while I knew what two songs I wanted, I never listened to them until the animation was virtually done. The sound work was started on the last night at probably around 1am, with the project being due at 8am. Our partner downloaded and learned a freeware sound cropping and leveling program in about 2 hours and actually somehow made both songs fit exactly where we thought we wanted them. It amazes me that it fit that well, and my favorite part of the whole video actually is how the camera and part movements go well with the music. (atleast to my untrained ear.. Ive never seen a sheet of music or touched an instrument)

We were supposedly the first in the courses history to model a chain and gears that well, making sure that both gears spin at realistic looking rotational velocities, and that the chain's linear speed also matched. Factor in the frame rate problem, it was a small miracle everything looks like it does.

I dont think anyone slept more than a few hours a day for the last 5 days, and most of that time was sleeping during other classes.

I can only imagine the dedication and stress that would come from producing something that has investors and is 90 minutes long.

http://vimeo.com/11369054

*For the cliffnotes version, watch the first minute, and then jump to 5:00.
*Also, on my computer the video is very choppy until I go full screen.

Last edited:
Back