End of the World

Okay, I read a lot. Thus. Have many ideas for stories, no time to put on paper and/or complete most (99%er). Thought this might be fun. Not a challenge. But curious and creative fun. How will the earth end? Or how will humanity see it's last sunrise.

Check this out... End of the World. I would be curious on ideas, comments and suggestions of others. There will always be a BIG following for disaster movies. How strange can the END be?

Have a good day...

By the greatest of ease, I tend to think in cosmological and geological time frames. Day to day stuff is a chore for me. Thus, I enjoy these sort of mental exercises.

A favorite mental game of mine is to imagine all of today's population popped back in time a mere two or three hundred years.
LOL! Who's gonna die from lack of air conditioning or simply falling into harm's way without proper vision correcting lenses?
God, I love clean water and antibiotics.

Anyways, consider that on a geological time frame ten thousand years ain't diddly-squat.
Should humanity be fortunate to have not eaten ourselves out of existence by then consider if our technology of screwing around with our genes will quite possibly have altered our appearance considerably even in the next few thousand years.
Will we even be homo sapiens anymore?
Probably not.
Lord only knows what we'll have bastardized ourselves into in another ten thousand years.
How about 100 thousand years? I don't think we'd redily recognize our decendents from then.
How about 500 thousand years from now?
A million years from now?
Ten million?

Now, at ten million years from now we begin getting into the territory of the next great extinction level event.
Extinction_intensity.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_extinction

Those are real slate cleaners.

Current solar maturity models give our sun about a billion years before it runs out of local hydrogen and blossoms into an ocean evaporating red giant, eventually getting so large that even consumes the Earth itself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#Life_cycle

Until then the slate of life on Earth will have been cleaned innumerable times.

Last edited:
The 1950s and 1960s made lots of movies about this. The most common suggestion is a nuclear war. I always liked Creation Of The Humanoids.

My last 2 productions showed the end of the Earth. The Humans blow themselves up and they are survived by Cyborgs.

The Day After is a disaster movie, but I'm quite skeptical of environmental doom-and-gloom scenarios, so I didn't check it out. And, of course, nuclear war is a perennial favorite.

And you are right - there will always be a market for disaster movies. But I don't know how many of them make money.

Yay, another science discussion!

For the future of humanity, I have a mixture of pessimism and optimism. I'm pessimistic for the overall quality of life for most humans in the foreseeable future. But for the evolutionary survival of the species, I think there are reasons to be very optimistic. I think this species has a very long future ahead of it.

There is one very real, and very significant difference between Homo sapiens and all other life on Earth -- we have complex Culture. While other species are subject to environmental pressures that might trigger evolution, we adapt culturally. That doesn't mean we are completely immune to environmental pressures, and in fact there are some instances in which we've seen micro-evolution in modern humans, but I can't imagine any foreseeable scenarios that would cause us to evolve into a whole new species.

If the same asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs struck Earth right now, we would survive as a species. Our numbers would be greatly reduced, and we'd go back to hunting/gathering, but we'd survive. A much larger asteroid could kill human life. But what are the odds of that?

If a crazy super-virus were unleashed on the world, we'd survive. Acute epidemics (the kind that kills lots of people, quickly) require large population centers to survive. These types of viruses kill people so quickly, that if they enter a smaller population, they kill all the people off, thereby ending the life of the virus in that area. Not all of the world lives in dense populations. There are still people who live in small populations, way the heck away from any dense population centers, and there are enough of them to perpetuate the species, should all the people living in cities get wiped out by a super-virus.

Nuclear holocaust is a scary thought, and that could actually wipe out not just the human race, but all life on Earth. But is there any realistic scenario in which the powers that be decide to LAUNCH EVERYTHING?

Genetic engineering will never beat-out good-ol-fashioned baby-making.

Will we colonize space before our Sun runs out of energy? I doubt we'll still be around by then, but I do think we've got a very long future ahead of us.

One hypothetically-possible scenario that could cause humans to evolve into a new species -- the introduction of an extraterrestrial species, one which preys on us, and which we are not able to defeat with our technology.

By the way, rayw -- the next mass extinction has already begun. And who do you think started it?

Okay, I'm going to be the party pooper and say that the earth will end when Sol becomes a red giant. Now, as to when humanity will end... Do you mean the end of every human in existence? Or just a huge die-back (90+%), the end of civilization?

Solar flares will destroy the satellites, other data communications and power supplies, to which the human race is addicted, and mass chaos ensues. Many will die in the exodus from the cities, rioting, etc., but most will starve to death over the next year or so. The rotting of billions of corpses will cause epidemics that will kill of about half of the survivors.

Let's look at the different groups of possibilities:

A.) Man-Made:

1. Industrial Waste
2. Nuclear or Biological Warefare
3. Human interaction with different species.
4. A scientific discovery

B.) Supernatural

1. A religious ending
2. Zombies or Vampires

C.) Science Fiction

1. An Alien Invasion
2. A super virus.
3. AI outgrows Humans who are too imperfect.
4. Atomic testing creates killer monsters and creatures such as Godzilla.
5. Experimentation with opening up parallel universes like an antimater world where matter and antimatter come together to result in a very BIG bang.
6. Interdimentional travel.

By the way, rayw -- the next mass extinction has already begun. And who do you think started it?
Give me seven billion guesses.

http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/longrange2/WorldPop2300final.pdf
pg 13

For the next decade or two my greatest concern will be the energy and resource sustainability of a significant increase of the standard of living among BRIC and emerging economies across the following century.

A few hundred million US/UK/EU/JP/AUS consumers going hog wild is one thing.
Add two billion Chinese and East Indians to that and... I dunno. Looks pretty grim to me.

Sadly, I hope this global financial mismanagement is a deliberate attempt to derail the Chinese and East Indian economic growth.

Live for another half century as kings before decimating the planet's biosphere?
Live with a 1950s standard of living for a few more centuries?
Live as hunter-gatherers for another ten thousand years?

It's all about the trade off between population and standard of living.
Can't have both sky high.
Zero sum.
Either/or.

Who says our modern standard of living is best?

I would love it if humans could return to a hunter/gathering way of life. Either that, or Star Trek, but nothing in between. This modern age is for the birds.

Look, I don't HAVE an alibi, alright!!!

Actually, my tendancies are more towards the Evil Overlord end of the spectrum, so I would TOTALLY take credit if I could!

I love a good (and even a bad) post-apocalyptic story, but I think the best ones are where the actual event is vague or not stated. Leaves more to the imagination, and I like that. I think End of Civilization is a better term though; I expect humanity will be long since wiped out before the world itself ends. Just looking at the numbers; how far we came from banging rocks together to being able to feasably wipe ourselves off the face of the planet. We're pretty volatile and our only hope of any lasting culture is getting off this rock, but we can't get ourselves to the next available one in a reasonable amount of time, and have yet to figure out how to make the closest one work out for us, so let's hope we don't run out of resources before we work that out!

A related aside: they found a lake on Europa. Liquid water beneath the ice, and evidence that the two intermingle (ice melting, water freezing). The odd for finding other life forms (even if they're just bacteria) within our own solar system just went up, well, astronmically!

But for the purposes of brainstorming and riffing on ideas, I predict the end will come as we start experimenting more with extradimensional particles. In so doing, we accidentally piss off something that lives in a reality that we can not perceive yet. In an effort to protect their world (being a series of dimensions that from their perspective operate similar to how space/time operate for us, but being completely independent from it) from accidental distruction from ours, they decide to nip the threat in the bud...a portal opens at CERN, but not as a result of any experiments or collisions...

I would love it if humans could return to a hunter/gathering way of life. Either that, or Star Trek, but nothing in between. This modern age is for the birds.
Ha!

I say it's the best.
But my measure is largely measured by some simple fundamentals shared among all living things, plant or animal.
Tier one:
#1 - seek good
#2 - avoid bad
Tier two:
#3 - fight over food
#4 - fight over territory
#5 - fight over reproduction

Would you choose to go back to being a hunter-gatherer today?
- Go outside
- Find a nice forest, field and water source
- Literally "live off the land" for a single 48 hours
- Now try that for at least three sustainable generations
How many fellow human beings currently practice this lifestyle?
In a competitive model, if your DNA competes with my DNA guess which one will become extinct first?

I imagine well over 90% of modern people wouldn't survive the first decade of H-G.

I say this modern age of clean water, immunizations, ready access to food, shelter and energy allowing us creative freedom is pretty sweet.

To me, it's only the overpopulation making a muck of it all.
I think a billion humans running about is more than plenty.
IDK WTH we need 7 billion (and growing) of us running amok.

LOL! And besides, living as H-Gs how could anyone enjoy something like these?
http://www.youtube.com/user/hoodedheaven?feature=watch#g/a
http://www.youtube.com/user/facialsluts?feature=watch#g/u
LMAO!
People.

Last edited:
There's 99942 Apophis. I guess they're saying that it's unlikely it will actually hit Earth. And at an estimated 510 megatons it's small compared to the one that killed the dinosaurs at 1,000,000 megatons. But, an astroid being identified and having a name helps to put a face on the danger and make it perhaps less abstract. And of course there are much larger monsters out there.

April 13th, 2029. Well, something to want to live long enough to see in 2029, I suppose. It would have to be a pretty impressive sight, I imagine. And April 13th, 2036: I'll bet I'll be long gone by then. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaW4Ol3_M1o

Quotations and paraphrases from Hyperspace:

Our solar system moves around the Milky Way at 230 kilometers per second. The Earth goes round the galaxy every 250 million years. It travels through the densest part of the the galaxy every 30 million years, and that's the danger zone. Every 30 million years or so life on Earth comes close to being wiped out. Life has been all but eradicated on Earth 20 separate times.

Our solar system does not only rotate around the galaxy, but it also bobs up and down. As it rotates and bobs up and down it can collide with or come under the influence of other stars, black holes, super novas, etc. And, gravitational influences can knock comets out of their orbits and send them ulitmately into our solar system. The last time our solar system moved through the densest part of the galaxy was about 1 million years ago. That's about how long it takes a dislodged comet to get to our solar system. One such comet hit Jupitor in July 1994. It covered an area larger than our entire planet.

The average life span of a species on earth is a few million years. Humans have been around for about a few million years.

Let's hope they can beat the odds, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvR3xP0MI-g&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL0C58448A81E9E201

It's cool that this snippet is on Youtube to share. But I do recommend buying a copy of Hyperspace or renting it at the library or whatever. It's awesome and the picture and audio will be much better.

Then there's WR 104.

I was hoping there would be a clip of this from Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking from which I first heard about WR 104. It's so good. I definately recommend getting a copy of that doc' too.

This clip isn't as good. It doesn't animate, illustrate the whole beam-shooting-out-of-the-star's-poles-and hitting-the-Earth stuff, but it's cool. Just imagine those ridiculously high energy beams shooting out of the Gamma Ray Burster Super Nova and hitting the Earth like a laser beam. Like that, yay. Er.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YdyK6bHoKQ

Ever since I learned that there is a Supervolcano Under Yellowstone I've wondered what would happen if it had a "huge volcanic eruption" tomorrow or today or while we all are around. No, it wouldn't be an ELE, but I'm guessing that those living in North America might be toast. Maybe it would depend on which way the winds were blowing etc. How would it affect the world's climate or agriculture etc?

Yeah, as long as those nuclear arsenals are sitting around, humanity might meet its end that way. There's all too good of a chance that humans are too stupid and too vicious not to use them.

Maybe genetic mistakes or accidents. But, like Stephen Hawking believes, something he expresses in his The Universe in a Nutshell, I suspect humans will be altering themselves, speeding up adaptation, etc. It may be that such alterations are absolutely required if the species wants to get smart enough to figure out how to escape this solar system or be physically able to live on alien planets or in artificial habitations in space or wherever. Otherwise or in anycase, it may be that humans are just not smart enough to survive beyond this planet or this solar system, that there simply aren't enough resources to colonize space, or that the physical laws simply will not permit it, no matter how smart and resourceful we or our descendants are.

The Ultimate Human Plague, as far as our species goes. I think another name for it is usually used, but I can't recall it and googling didn't help. Perhaps: The Human Plague, not referring to The Black Death. But anyway, like I think Cracker already said, the fact that there are so many of us all around the globe hopefully insulates the species against extinction by plague. But just think, we've heard that there was a time in our species's history when they think there were only about thirty (?) individuals, or so. Imagine, one nasty disease that wiped them out and we wouldn't even be here. Of course, some say that the Ultimate Human Disease is already here: HIV/AIDS.

Even before the Sun toasts the earth, the continents are supposed to move together. A History Channel documentary about the history and future of the Earth said that there will be a super continent. It will be desolate and hostile to life such as ourselves. History Channel documentaries usually suck, but that one was good. The documentary Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking says that the continents will cluster towards the South Pole in some 75 million years, but it is not known if the Earth will be habital then.

I have a copy of Time, June 25, 2001. The cover says: How the Universe Will End. Oh dear, that's already an old issue. It says that the latest data, circa 2001, suggests that the universe will keep expanding until everything is gone. Even atoms will no longer exist. But, it speculates, perhaps humans or some other intelligent life forms could transform their minds into digital intelligence and live on in the darkness. Really? That's over my head. So, does the digital somehow live beyond matter and energy and whatever? Could someone explain that?

Anyway, these days I wonder what's the point of humans surviving beyond Earth. If the species lives till tomorrow or till 14 billion years from now, what's the point, really, unless they figure out how to survive the death of this universe...unless, it turns out that there are other universes and they manage to escape into one of these other universes that is not dead? Otherwise, would it really be much ado about nothing? Maybe everything does dies, and it's best for them to just accept their mortality and to not worry about living beyond the Sun's life? Heheh, okay, I do think they ought to at least try!

Live for another half century as kings before decimating the planet's biosphere?
Live with a 1950s standard of living for a few more centuries?
Live as hunter-gatherers for another ten thousand years?

It's all about the trade off between population and standard of living.
Can't have both sky high.
Zero sum.
Either/or.

You both might change your minds right quick when you get an Earth Shattering Toothe Ache or Appendicitis and there's no dentists or doctors around. We could think up another gazillion examples, but I'll bet that's not necessary. :tongue:

Last edited:
While I do not agree with some of the above comments... I read all comments, several times (and took notes) -- I appreciate all the comments made on this thread. Thank you. It is hard at times, to get out side one's own head for different perspectives, views and opinions.

As a (poor) writer/filmmaker, I am always looking to expand the perimeters in my screenplays and productions -- for I do not know it all. Not only did several comments above contribute to a cure for BLOOD BIBLE (current script in progress) but gave me an exciting additional scene to GREEN APOCALYPSE (which has been sitting idle for years).

Thanks for the opinions, info and views... on End of the World.

Humanity has all its eggs in this one basket. For the million reasons we can all come up with, this certainly will lead to the end of human existence at some point. We need to get off this rock ASAP. We should burn every petrochemical, mine every ounce of metal scar the face of this planet, and pollute its skies, in the pursuit of sending humanity to the stars.

If humans are part of the evolution of planet earth as a whole, then our function is very much to be the seeds of earth. No other creature will escape the gravity well. Earth life wants to spread, always seeking new niches to fill, we the humans, are the only species that can take OTHER species, the whole of earth life, to another planet.

For the sake of all life on planet earth, we must get out there, its is why we evolved intelligence, we are the reproductive organs of this planet.

I feel slutty.

Humanity has all its eggs in this one basket. For the million reasons we can all come up with, this certainly will lead to the end of human existence at some point. We need to get off this rock ASAP. We should burn every petrochemical, mine every ounce of metal scar the face of this planet, and pollute its skies, in the pursuit of sending humanity to the stars.

If humans are part of the evolution of planet earth as a whole, then our function is very much to be the seeds of earth. No other creature will escape the gravity well. Earth life wants to spread, always seeking new niches to fill, we the humans, are the only species that can take OTHER species, the whole of earth life, to another planet.

For the sake of all life on planet earth, we must get out there, its is why we evolved intelligence, we are the reproductive organs of this planet.

Pretty much, I think. I'm sure the enviro-nazis and the Gaia Contingent would find the idea disagreeable. I do hope that those future generations can manage it (Earth) without exploiting everything and, in fact, be reasonably good stewards. But, science does seem to have put the relevant facts on the table. There will be mass extinctions again with or without human activity. It's not clear, but I'm guessing that even those extreme-conditions-living bacteria will not survive the death of the solar system. Ironically, the animal that is often the villain (so thought of, and, often enough, actually so) humans, are the only likely canidates to perpetuate not only themselves but also other genomes beyond the death of this planet and this solar system.

But, maybe it's like they say: whatever will be will be.

?

Last edited:
Back