• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Edius 6.01 lossless avi rendering output sound/vision "Not Sync"

. . . in some players

Hi,

I am a beginner in post production (as well as in many film production related areas) and just trying to get an output of my short film

my settings on a sample clip:

input: .mov 1280 x 720 MPEG-4 QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
Overall bit rate : 8 309 Kbps
Writing library : Apple QuickTime
NCDT : NCTG
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=8
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 8 287 Kbps
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.300
Stream size : 50.9 MiB (100%)
Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -34ms
Stream size : 649 KiB (2%)
Source stream size : 649 KiB (2%)

project settings at edius 6.01:
Frame Size : 1280 x 720
Frame Rate : 25.00
Aspect Ratio : 1.0000
Field order : Progressive
Quantization Bit Rate : 8Bit
Audio Sampling Rate : 48000Hz
Quantization Bit Rate : 16 Bit
Channel : 4
Setup Render format : Canopus Lossless AVI
Over Scan Size : 3 %
Audio Reference Level : -20.0dB

After the render, I have tried to view the output
-with zoom player and there was no audio/visual synch
-with VLC there were no visual, just sound due to no support CLLC Audio and video
-BS Player view has no audio/visual synch

After I rendered it again with "Canoplus HQ AVI" standard settings,
I have watched it with no sync problem at all using BS Player

Have I done something wrong in the above situation please?
If so how would I correct the situation and what alse I need to know to do so please for my ultimate question:
I want to get as high quality as possible output for 2-3 possible targets

a) DVD format for film festivals
b) TV broadcast
c) Online version for the internet

Would you please tell me what settings I should use/choose in Edius 6.01 in rendering the project situation?

all the best

Thank you for that.

what is best project settings to get the highest quality video output with a minimum file size for the Film Festival submissions?

I need your urgent help please
all the best

Last edited:
Quicktime to Windows avi?

What computer platform are you using?

There is always a little loss going back and forth between quicktime and aviation that requires tweaking.

Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere can convert aviation and quicktime files.

But, why do you need to convert quicktime files?

Thank you for your prompt reply

Here's what I have:

quicktime .mov is the original input into edius

What is your advice to get the highest project settings/rendering settings/quality setting in edius to get an ultimate dvd version for the festival submission please

What steps I should follow?
I cannot use Adobe Premier as my system is 32 bit

I have Windows 7 Home
edius 6.02

And I am not familiar with any editing software.
Consider me as a beginner please

all the best

Hi there!

I'm not 100% sure I understand the problem, but I do use Edius 6 so maybe I can help.

When I was using Premiere and Vegas I would have to transcode my Quicktime MOV (Canon 7D) files into an uncompressed AVI for easier editing, as they couldn't handle them natively.

But with Edius I simply edit from the native MOV files. This is actually one of Edius' strong points

As far as output for festivals, you may find it better to use Quicktime. Some of them prefer ProRes (which as far as I know you can only READ from Windows machines... not export) but they will likely accept H.264/MOV. I showcased a music video recently in this format and it worked really well. The quality was excellent and the filesize was manageable.

At any rate, don't go from MOV -> HQ AVI Standard (lossy) -> MOV or anything similar to that.

If you HAVE to transcode to an intermediate, then go to something lossless like Lagarith or Huffy AVI, etc. to avoid generational quality loss.

ie. MOV -> AVI (LOSSLESS) -> MOV (Final render/delivery)

Though again, you should be able to use the MOV files directly in Edius 6 with no problem. I'm editing a feature-length film at the moment using this procedure.

Hope this helps!

Thank you all.

Hi FrankLad,
I did that way because I don't know any other way as F11 gave that option for the highest quality I presumed

I am afraid this is my first project and I am a beginner,

I was wondering if you could show me to come to that step by step please such as

1) Press F11
2) Print to file menu select so and so
3) exporter setting menu: select so and so

all the best

PS: I have also another small issue: I am not able to print all the 5 sequences into a single file
and I could not select all the sequences to print all at one go to a single file, any quick tips please?

I know it is just an elementary question but:
I wish it was as simple as select first sequence /cut/paste into mother sequence, then select the second sequence . .

I cannot figure it out from the manual either

ps 2 I have created a mother sequence already and I have 3 sequences to be placed into mother sequence

Last edited:
...my ultimate question:
I want to get as high quality as possible output for 2-3 possible targets

a) DVD format for film festivals
b) TV broadcast
c) Online version for the internet

b) I can't speak for your picture editing but you cannot make a version for TV broadcast without knowing which TV channel/network it's going to be aired on. Most broadcasters in North America and Western Europe have their own very strict audio specifications which you will not be able to meet without the correct equipment and experience.

a) The audio may also be a problem for film festivals, depending on the festival. Some of the small provincial film festivals are very tolerant of poor audio quality but at the very least, you still need to have clear dialogue when played back on a cinema system.

c) There are no specifications or expectations for audio on youtube or vimeo, etc., so your short film cannot be rejected due to problems with the audio.

G

I appreciate for the very valuable info. Thank you for that

b) I can't speak for your picture editing but you cannot make a version for TV broadcast without knowing which TV channel/network it's going to be aired on. Most broadcasters in North America and Western Europe have their own very strict audio specifications which you will not be able to meet without the correct equipment and experience.

a) The audio may also be a problem for film festivals, depending on the festival. Some of the small provincial film festivals are very tolerant of poor audio quality but at the very least, you still need to have clear dialogue when played back on a cinema system.

c) There are no specifications or expectations for audio on youtube or vimeo, etc., so your short film cannot be rejected due to problems with the audio.

G

Most film festivals also want a plug and play DVD. Meaning they can put it in a set top DVD player and have it play. That means 720 X 480, so you ARE going to lose considerable resolution on your DVD copy.

Thank you for that.
That's a very disappointing fate

is there any way to improve it please?

such as upscaling from my 1280x720 input to 1440x1080 output?

Please share your experiences

thank you in advance

Thank you all.

Hi FrankLad,
I did that way because I don't know any other way as F11 gave that option for the highest quality I presumed

I am afraid this is my first project and I am a beginner,

I was wondering if you could show me to come to that step by step please such as

1) Press F11
2) Print to file menu select so and so
3) exporter setting menu: select so and so

all the best

PS: I have also another small issue: I am not able to print all the 5 sequences into a single file
and I could not select all the sequences to print all at one go to a single file, any quick tips please?

I know it is just an elementary question but:
I wish it was as simple as select first sequence /cut/paste into mother sequence, then select the second sequence . .

I cannot figure it out from the manual either

ps 2 I have created a mother sequence already and I have 3 sequences to be placed into mother sequence

indiejunor: Sorry for the delay in response!

Some prefer QuickTime ProRes, but for us Windows users your best QuickTime delivery option is probably H.264.

So in Edius 6, you'd do the following:

- F11
- Select "QuickTime" from the list on the left
- Click "Advanced" below to drop down more options
- Be sure your Video Format (left side) and Audio Format (right side) settings look right.
For instance, the last music video I submitted to a festival was the following:
HD 1920x1080, 23.98p | 48000Hz, 24bit

- Click "Export"
- Click "Settings"
- You should now see QuickTime's "Movie Settings", where you can change the compression options.
- Under the Video section, click "Settings". Here's what I used:
- Compression Type (drop-down at top): "H.264"
- Quality: 75 to 95 (Depending on the size. A short music video won't be too huge, but if you're doing a longer film, you may want to drop this a bit for a more manageable file.)
- Encoding: Best Quality (Multi-Pass) (Takes longer to encode, but better quality than Single-Pass)

- Under the Audio section, be sure the settings match your project or intended output. (ie. 48000Hz, etc.)

Hope this helps!

Thank you for that.
That's a very disappointing fate

is there any way to improve it please?

such as upscaling from my 1280x720 input to 1440x1080 output?

Please share your experiences

thank you in advance

You can tweak the compression to make it look as good as possible, but DVD is an SD format. To be able to put it in a regular set top DVD player and have it play it's got to be 480P, pretty much end of story. It won't look as good as HD, period. Where you'll notice it is that the shadows will be much more crushed down than in your source.

Some festivals will take a Blu Ray screener, some will take a regular .mov file (both HD), but generally festivals want a regular old DVD for the submission copy.

You can tweak the compression to make it look as good as possible, but DVD is an SD format. To be able to put it in a regular set top DVD player and have it play it's got to be 480P, pretty much end of story. It won't look as good as HD, period. Where you'll notice it is that the shadows will be much more crushed down than in your source.

Some festivals will take a Blu Ray screener, some will take a regular .mov file (both HD), but generally festivals want a regular old DVD for the submission copy.

yes, in my case, the festivals I have come across want DVD format, unfortunately

They realize they are looking at an SD copy, that the exhibition copy will be HD and look "better".

If the movie can't hold up to the down scale to SD without losing a lot of it's impact then something is wrong that a higher resolution render won't fix.

Back