• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing software?

As I understand it Final Cut is the best one but it only runs on macs so can someone link some step by step guide on how to run FC on pc? Or if that's not possible can I get recommendations on essential software needed to make a film (shot on canon60D) that natively runs on pc?

Thanks in advance.

Might want to look into Lightworks it's FREE as in Free beer, it has also been used by some heavyweights on some award winning movies including The King's Speech, Martin Scorsese's The Departed, Mission Impossible, Pulp Fiction, Braveheart and Batman were edited on Lightworks

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

It does not all the whiz bang plugins that Adobe products have, but if you use your noggin, you can figure out ways to do things almost as easy.

One can use Lightworks, Blender for 3D and Audacity for sound and have a pretty powerful suite of tools.

I use Cinelerra on Ubuntu Linux for my editing, I know I'm a freak compared to most, but hey I'm different is all.

Last edited:
I downloaded lightworks and was impressed by some of its credentials, and the fact it was free. A few days into using it made we want to shoot myself in the face. But hey, it could work for you.

A few days into using it made we want to shoot myself in the face.

I feel your pain. I was that way w/ marriage. HOWEVER....Isn't that true of MOST technical things ? Blender is one, Cinelerra and on and on and on.

I cut my teeth on Vegas then tried Cinelerra, I had MAJOR issues learning it, gave up, then came back to it and never looked back.

Im waiting for the drop of Lightworks for Linux...hopefully in a few months so I will be able to give some feedback.

Not really. I've had an all-around GREAT experience with Premiere CS5.

Well duuh ! If I had a pet GUERILLA!!! everything would be easy :lol:

Ok seriously, I watched a vid where walter Murch talked about issues w/ FCP X when it came out.

I guess we all do not think alike, what is intuative and easily usable for one, is not so much for another.

Use what works 4 U is the main thing huh ? but a GUERILLA!!! sure helps things Im thinkin....Im gonna go to the zoo and see if I can trap me one

Last edited:
As I understand it Final Cut is the best one but it only runs on macs so can someone link some step by step guide on how to run FC on pc? Or if that's not possible can I get recommendations on essential software needed to make a film (shot on canon60D) that natively runs on pc?

Thanks in advance.

It's never been the best and right now it's worse than it has ever been. And it has never been industry standard despite the rants of Mac fanboys.
Anyway, it's Mac only.
Get the trial version of Premiere, Avid, Vegas, and Edius and see if you like them.

Well duuh ! If I had a pet GUERILLA!!! everything would be easy :lol:

Ok seriously, I watched a vid where walter Murch talked about issues w/ FCP X when it came out.

I guess we all do not think alike, what is intuative and easily usable for one, is not so much for another.

Use what works 4 U is the main thing huh ? but a GUERILLA!!! sure helps things Im thinkin....Im gonna go to the zoo and see if I can trap me one

Dude, the anti-FCP X rants are deafening. I personally know only one Mac-head who is happy with the changes. Everyone else seems to be really pissed, and switching to CS5 (which is truly great software). I've never used your freeware. But I do know that I've never heard one person gripe about headaches with CS5. Obviously, perfection doesn't exist. But it feels like Adobe has come as close as is currently possible to it.

Plus, I do not have a pet guerilla. I am the only guerilla in my house. C'mon, now! :)

Dude, the anti-FCP X rants are deafening.Plus, I do not have a pet guerilla. I am the only guerilla in my house. C'mon, now! :)

Cracker...truly forgive me..I had a good bottle of wine. I gave up on watching the Pillow Fight that is the Pro Bowl and now that my Doctor tells me that 52 year olds cannot smoke cigars and be healthy, well she did not say anything about herbaceous goodness. In all honesty, I must say Cracker that I have some attitude and altitude, so forgive me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

All in good fun...Really did you see the sissy pillow fight Pro Bowl ? Im going to be in football purgatory for the next 6 months and Im getting antsy. Forgive Me, I only have a mutant rat dog for a pet but I want a big dog or yes a GORilla !

Cracker...truly forgive me..I had a good bottle of wine. I gave up on watching the Pillow Fight that is the Pro Bowl and now that my Doctor tells me that 52 year olds cannot smoke cigars and be healthy, well she did not say anything about herbaceous goodness. In all honesty, I must say Cracker that I have some attitude and altitude, so forgive me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

All in good fun...Really did you see the sissy pillow fight Pro Bowl ? Im going to be in football purgatory for the next 6 months and Im getting antsy. Forgive Me, I only have a mutant rat dog for a pet but I want a big dog or yes a GORilla !

:lol:

No, dude, I knew you were just having fun. Cheers.

Brian, I get the impression that professionally-speaking, Avid is king in the PC world (I wouldn't know, cuz I'm just a sucker amateur). As far as the low-budget guys are concerned, I'm pretty sure CS5 is the clear winner. Not sure why that is. Why the disparity?

:lol:

No, dude, I knew you were just having fun. Cheers.

Brian, I get the impression that professionally-speaking, Avid is king in the PC world (I wouldn't know, cuz I'm just a sucker amateur). As far as the low-budget guys are concerned, I'm pretty sure CS5 is the clear winner. Not sure why that is. Why the disparity?

Yep. Avid is the industry standard.

AVID is industry standard for a great many reasons that are not necessarily of relevance to independent editors. The industry support, networking and asset management are second to none but don't apply outside of large edit facilities.
Most edit software title offer demos. Take the time to try them out.
If you are considering a possibility of working in an edit facility go with AVID IMHO.

Back