• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

editing RAW.

although I've never work with RAW before, I figure that RAW files must be huge. I'm planning to Raid my two hard drives in case of any unwanted event. what I need to know is that is 1TB of hard drive space sufficient for editing raw video/image files?

(I'll update this thread from time to time if I have more Questions regarding post production)

It really depends: how much are you planning to shoot? On what camera? With what (if any) compression ratio?

I've seen 2x 1TB drives bought for short films, but it depends on a lot of things, not the least of which your shooting ratio and your compression ratio.

As Jax said, you need do some research...

What camera/format?

How many MEGS per linear minute will your raw footage take?

How long is the projected project?

How many potential takes per shot?

How much CGI?

Add in the color corrected footage for the entire length of the project.

Once you've figured all of that out increase by 25% to 50%, then buy a second drive for back-up/archiving.

I can tell you that it is not unusual for me to come close to filling a 1TB drive when doing audio post on a 100 minute feature film working at 24bit/96kHz.

As Jax said, you need do some research...

What camera/format?

How many MEGS per linear minute will your raw footage take?

How long is the projected project?

How many potential takes per shot?

How much CGI?

Add in the color corrected footage for the entire length of the project.

Once you've figured all of that out increase by 25% to 50%, then buy a second drive for back-up/archiving.

I can tell you that it is not unusual for me to come close to filling a 1TB drive when doing audio post on a 100 minute feature film working at 24bit/96kHz.

Holy crap! Better start checking out those ebay daily deals lol

Yeah, a feature's going to take up much more space than a short.

On set:
You really should have at least a RAID 1 system for your backup, so if you're planning 2TB of hard drive space, you really need 2x 2TB drives for a RAID 1 system, plus an extra 2 in case of hard drive failure... Then you should also probably have another two non-raided 2TB drives that you can give to other crew - one should go with the Producer, one with someone else, and the RAID cage/drives with you - if you take everything and you write off your car in a crash on the way home, you'll not only have a car, but you'll have potentially lost all the footage you just shot.

All these drives/cages should be of at least FW800 speed. You should also set up a UPS for your on set computer/drive rig.

Your editing working drives should be seperate from the on set backup drives.

HDD space is not expensive, but if you want to be thorough with your backups it starts to add up. These are the methods we use on shows that can't afford the entire DIT cart/rigs that include full blown Mac Pros, Raid 5 arrays etc.

You don't have to go all out, but I'd suggest on set at least a RAID 1 system, preferrably Solid State if you can afford it. You can probably get away with such a setup for editing as well, though I've seen standard external drives used for editing, though I've also seen entire NAS RAID arrays at some post houses....

Back to space: on an Alexa shooting compressed ProRes 4444, you get ~11 minutes of footage on a 32GB card, obviously that's significantly higher shooting uncompressed HD, or ARRIRAW.

On an Epic, you get ~30 minutes shooting with 5:1 compression in 4k HD on a 128GB card.

So, what's your shooting ratio? How long's the final film? How much do you want to compress, if at all? Are you shooting HD or higher? How many redundancies are you thinking of creating..?

Last edited:
I don't know about "RAW", but I have an uncompressed video recorder, that records 10bit 4:2:2 video, and it records at about 8gigs per min of video. I use 256gb ssd drives for it. Each drive will hold about 25 min of video. I have 2 RAID 0 drives (4tb each) for storage of footage, when its being used on a timeline. I haven't filed my "media" drives up on a project yet. I also remove the files for archiving, once the project is complete.

One thing to point out about RAID 0 is that it isn't backing anything up, just writing faster. With RAID 1, it's writing everything to both drives.

RAID 5 is a combination of both, and is the best way to keep redundancy as well as speed, but is also a lot more expensive.

I guess you mean RAID 10 instead of 5?
Raid 10 needs 4 disks to make 2 Raid 0 mirrors.

BTW, always check diskspeed of your RAID system.
If your footage is 8 GB/minute (as mentioned by someone) you'll need over 133MB/s to see one stream of video. That is over 1064Mb/s so FW800 (800Mb/s max) is a too slow connection.
You'll need eSata or thunderbird.
And probably 4 disks in Raid 0.

I guess you mean RAID 10 instead of 5?
Raid 10 needs 4 disks to make 2 Raid 0 mirrors.

RAID 5 and RAID 10 are similar, RAID 5 includes parity, and is often seen as better for write-heavy as all drives can be written to simultaneously, wehereas only half of RAID 10 can be. RAID 10 is generally seen as a speed improvement for read-heavy tasks.

They are similar in application, however.

Back