• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing programs

That's interesting, considering it's audio roots. Vegas originated from Sonic Foundry which was aiming to make a NLE that was super audio friendly and had a layout familiar to audio pros.

Vegas, which started as a MIDI program, is pretty good as far as audio implementation goes. The issue is that the vendor wanted what happened in Vegas to stay in Vegas. But as they rapidly expanded the NLE capabilities they ignored the audio capabilities, and ignored audio export options. They discovered that it was costing them sales, so they recently started offering audio export options. Unfortunately, it seems like it's going to take a gen/rev or two (or five) to catch up so it exports OMF and/or AAF that seamlessly opens in any platform.

They wouldn't have TV and radio studios coming back to them if they did substandard work.

They threw out several of my sound effects and replaced them because of sound reproduction problems and replaced the music with their own. They were going to replace the music anyway because it was in my agreement with them.

The audio for the dialogue was recorded in a recording studio and the results were good quality.

They when over everything with me and told me why they replaced sections of the audio.

You are missing the point! I never said anything about the audio post facility you went to did substandard work. What I am saying is that your working practices are limiting the quality of work that an audio post facility is capable of producing. This includes exporting everything as aifs from your NLE which will either compromise quality or massively increase the time and cost of audio post, potentially to the point of killing the project.

It's entirely possible the audio post facility did as good a job as could be done with what you gave them. But, equally you should be aware that there is a massive gulf between doing something which manages to stay above the line of substandard quality and of doing something which is "perfect".

G

In a new editing system I am putting together now, I have the latest retail version of Premiere and Photoshop. I am expecting to add the latest versions of Vegas, Sound Forge, AVID Media Creator and Protools over the next year or so while a take a break from making new films. That is in preparation for the event we may have to make fresh new 5 minute promos and trailers to get investors as producers are recommending. My DP is investing in new cameras and making a greenscreen studio in his apartment where we can shoot greenscreen for much less than a greenscreen studio and he will provide facilities for the cast to change into costume.

The sound guy has high end wireless lapel mics and a shotgun mic he is willing to add to a shoot with my sound gear.

So, we are gearing up for better stuff.

Back