• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing is an Art

I just wanted to drop my two cents in as an editor for about four years. It takes time and lots of patience to conquer the achievement of finishing a large project successfully in the post process. With lots of failures and missed shots, breakthroughs will pour through. We are maestros at the controls at times because we're using your own technique with lessons and references taught and explained to us from either classes, tutorials, Google searches, friends, or all of the above. We're an interesting group of people, to say the least.

Feel free to post life saving techniques or breakthrough situations in heated crunch times in this thread. :cool:

I just wanted to drop my two cents in as an editor for about four years. It takes time and lots of patience to conquer the achievement of finishing a large project successfully in the post process. With lots of failures and missed shots, breakthroughs will pour through. We are maestros at the controls at times because we're using your own technique with lessons and references taught and explained to us from either classes, tutorials, Google searches, friends, or all of the above. We're an interesting group of people, to say the least.

Feel free to post life saving techniques or breakthrough situations in heated crunch times in this thread. :cool:

Well Said! :) I agree 100 percent! And I think this is a great idea for a thread :)

My lifesaving situation with editing: I leave it for a while-maybe a day, maybe a few days......then I come back to it and I'm often able to find my way out of it.

I'm also one of those nuts who gets ideas at 3AM in the morning and then can't get back to sleep-so to the editor I go! ;)

Editing is overrated..my buddy got a new laptop and his parents are buying him Premiere Pro he's cool. He will learn editing . We are gonna do a 3D Avatar movie ! All our friends will be in the movie, should I buy a mic ? or use the one on the cam ?

OK IMO the "art" of editing, is the "artist" of filmmaking. All aspects of the art of film where individual artists the cinematograpgher, musician, sound person, FX person, actor, director and everyone else provide the paint. The editor dips his brush into the paint and applies it to the canvas. each project is unique, some work closely with the editor, some don't. The editor must see the art in everyone's work and expertly put that work into the film, focusing on one at a time or blend them together where he or she deems appropriate.

Since Im doing most all aspects of my films right now. I must use creativity in all levels, always thinking of the final edit. It is a very creative and limitless area where my imagination meet my skills.. I have much to learn.

Last edited:
Someone once told me:

There's the movie you write.
There's the movie you shoot.
There's the movie you edit.
None resemble each other in the slightest.

I love to edit. But, I enjoy simplicity. Straight shots, with the proper CUs and emotions, say it all.

There's too much artsy fartsy super fast editing, that just gets distracting.

Editing is the god awful, mind numbing, shithole job I pay someone else to do because I'd rather hit myself in the face with a shovel than do it myself. A good one is as precious as a dimaond, I just want no part of what they have to do.

Gonzo, you are a director's director. :)

I put in my time all those nights I sit there trying to figure out the shot list for an action sequence that will produce something he can edit together, and all those hours on set trying to get vegan actress to take a bite of the can of tuna because the character isn't a hippie vegetarian. The last thing I need is to turn into an even worse chain smoking, grubby fingered recluse staring at a timeline for 16 straight hours.

lol. I hope you took my statement as the compliment it was.

And this may save you some headache in the future ;)

MWtunalarge.jpg

I've actually found that editing is the first technical part of the filmmaking process that I've been able to pick up kind of instinctively. When I finally release The Samurai soon you'll see no evidence of this talent but that's because of lack of coverage, continuity issues, focus problems and poor shot setups. In the film school exercises where I've taken more time and worked with theory rather than off the cuff I've managed to produce really nice cuts.

I'd love to cut trailers. I've always thought that that would be a great job to have, there's a whole art form behind it and I reckon I could do a pretty sweet job. So if anyone is looking to have a trailer cut for there film, let me know! :D

Im working on a feature that WAS going to be a short.. I did the editing in 2.35:1. I have since decided to make a feature out of it. NOW I have to re-edit 1/4 of it to 16:9 since I shall be seeking a chance at distribution. That will be a task AND a chance to make it better.

Last edited:
Back