Editing and Effects

I've been looking at some videos online and I see that people are able to take them and add in text, effects between shots, etc. and in general edit what they film rather than using it directly from the camera? How is this achieved? Will I need special software?

You can use iMovie which comes with every newer Mac. You can also use programs like Final Cut or Adobe Premiere.

If you're just starting out as it seems you are, I would recommend using iMovie, and practicing with non-linear editing, transitions, multiple audio tracks, etc...it's actually pretty simple to use.

Until you get comfortable with the entire process of non-linear editing, I wouldn't put any real money into anything.

Good luck.

I've been looking at some videos online and I see that people are able to take them and add in text, effects between shots, etc. and in general edit what they film rather than using it directly from the camera? How is this achieved? Will I need special software?

As mentioned, on the Mac you get imovie for free and on a PC you get Windows Movie Maker for free. Both of these allow you to add TITLES, TRANSITIONS (the effects between shots), and MUSIC tracks.

Hardly anyone edits in the camera anymore, especially with the control and versatility you get from editing with software. This allows you to edit (or cut) between various angles and takes.

The comparison is like using a typewriter versus a word processor. Editing in camera means you have to start over if you want to make a change, and with editing software (called an NLE for Non Linear Editing) you can click a button or use the mouse to re-arrange things.

Back