• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Early demo reel (Please critique)

Hello, well I am 19 and have owned my Canon XL2 for about 5 months. I am enrolled in a film degree but it is more academic rather than practical, lots of theory and the like.

I have only filmed one true project so far which are the black and white shots in the demo reel, everything else is just taken from tests and such.

http://vimeo.com/4554196

This isn't really a serious demo reel but just a roundup of what I have done in the past few months. I am currently aspiring to be a videographer and have my first job lined up over the Summer to do a film for a National Heritage organisation.

Let me know what you think of the images and what I am doing wrong etc.

PS: Dodgy editing means it cuts off at 1:10.

You have a great eye for framing and shooting. If I had any complaint it would be your movement and zooming. It might be the video but it's distracting, it doesn't flow smoothly.

Either it's the video, the transfer, or something you'll master with time and practice. Either way, great shots. If you were in NY I'd let you shoot for me.

Thank you for the reply. Could you tell me which shots you have problems with regarding the movement and zooming?

We only get about 8 hours of actual camera training on my University course :rolleyes: so I'm trying to self teach myself I guess.

Any advice or citique is welcome!

Pretty shots! I want to upgrade now :( As a montage of random shots, it worked well.

My advice; script, shoot, edit, lather, rinse, repeat! 2-5 minute short pieces will give you plenty of experience. Each time you're done, sit down to watch the piece with the mindset that everything you did was wrong and figure out why - keep in mind that some parts will stand out as wonderful, and you still need to know why! The next shoot, work on the 2 worst parts of the process you determined from the smackdown viewing and repeat this process until you've found a comfortable rhythm that produces decent results.

You may want to pick some short topic interviews to work on your docu making skills as well.

Pretty shots! I want to upgrade now :( As a montage of random shots, it worked well.

My advice; script, shoot, edit, lather, rinse, repeat! 2-5 minute short pieces will give you plenty of experience. Each time you're done, sit down to watch the piece with the mindset that everything you did was wrong and figure out why - keep in mind that some parts will stand out as wonderful, and you still need to know why! The next shoot, work on the 2 worst parts of the process you determined from the smackdown viewing and repeat this process until you've found a comfortable rhythm that produces decent results.

You may want to pick some short topic interviews to work on your docu making skills as well.

QFT.

Yeah, I looked it up, it's a decidedly less annoying version of the traditional "Me Too" or "Ditto" slashdot posts. I actually don't mind the QTF thing as much, it's a much more positive implementation of that idiom. thanks for the education - I should take this off thread and start a thread on idiomatic expression etymology and psychology, an interest of mine :)

Yeah, I looked it up, it's a decidedly less annoying version of the traditional "Me Too" or "Ditto" slashdot posts. I actually don't mind the QTF thing as much, it's a much more positive implementation of that idiom. thanks for the education - I should take this off thread and start a thread on idiomatic expression etymology and psychology, an interest of mine :)

Speaking of off-topic...I find it interesting that your term 'idiomatic expression', has become an info link...and it leads to a shoe store.

Whu?

:)

And yes, I've always liked QFT. I rarely use it, but sometimes it just...fits. And your viewpoint of it might have merited another QFT...but I don't want to be a total tool.

Back