DVDs & Big Screen TVs - FYI

Not too long ago, I posted several threads on these forums crying because I couldn't figure out why my standard definition DVDs were not as good as the DVDs I rented.

Well, the answer to my problem was an obvious one. And I feel so stupid not knowing, I thought I'd share it here just incase someone in the future accidently makes the same mistake.

If you shoot in SD, render in SD, and burn onto a DVD. The most you can get out of it is 720p at most. Some people do 480p.

IF YOU play a SD DVD, whether its a DVD YOU made, or a SD DVD you rented, and you PLAY it on an HD Big Screen TV. The resolution is going to look very mediocre and not very clear. Because the TV is at 1080i, and your basically stretching a 720 to 1080, and as you know, stretching destroys resolution.

long story short: If you rent a standard def. DVD to watch for entertainment, or you shoot your own film and render SD and play it on your HD big screen TV. The quality wont be the best. They actually sell DVD upconvertors in order to bring the DVD up to scale from what I hear.

If you shoot in HD and render HD and burn on a DVD, you are fine.

As for all the other SD TVs, SD DVDs should work fine there too.

Back