Dudes, hows the blues?

So guys,

I have been listening to some BB king, which I haven't done in ages. It then reminded me of a lot more different blues stuff I love like:
- Muddy Waters
- Lead Belly
- Buddy guy
- Eric Clapton
etc

What are your views on blues music? :)

:cheers:

Josh

Love the blues!

Guy Davis
Acoustic Blues Travelers
Leadbelly

And more of the modern blues rock is

Black Diamond Heavies
Left Lane Cruisers

Woot!

Everyone associates blues with guitar players, but there were lots of great blues pianists like Otis Spann, Memphis Slim, Little Johnny Jones, Sunnyland Slim, Big Maceo Merriweather, Professor Longhair, Pinetop Perkins and quite a few others. More "modern" blues pianists include Ray Charles, Fats Domino and Dr. John (Mac Rebennack).

Before it became just "The Blues" there were very distinctive styles - Delta blues, Chicago blues, Detroit blues, Kansas City blues, Memphis blues, St. Louis blues and lots of others.

When talking about the blues I always think of the film "Crossroads." "The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHwsYL4F4tw​

I do like some Delta Blues (Robert Johnson!), but most of it isn't my cup of tea. I respond to harmonica the way some people respond to bagpipes. Though double the harmonica with a fiddle and it's good, but then we're more into folk territory than blues anyway ;) But I respect the hell out of it, even the stuff that I don't like. I'm not a quarter of the guitarist that, say, SRV was.

But that said, one of my favorite bands ever, Swans, have a bit of blues influence, taken to the brutal extreme. Not the showy, technical stuff, but the raw emotional side of things.

There are great performers and songs in all forms of music. Blues isn't my favorite, but the stuff I like, I really like!

I'm a musician and I adore blues! I just love jamming and playing some blues music.
My inspiration is definitely BB King and Eric Clapton. Maybe some John Mayer as well. :)

Blues Rocks. I sat right in front of Muddy Waters at MFP on LI. It doesn't get much better than that. Roy Buchannan playing the blues is cosmic. Clapton kicks ass. Johnny Winter on slide amazing. The only complaint I'd ever have about the blues is after numerous listens the formula gets repetitive. Which is why Zeppelin is KING. A lot of their blues doesn't sound like the blues. But, Page is GOD.

Blues Rocks. I sat right in front of Muddy Waters at MFP on LI. It doesn't get much better than that. Roy Buchannan playing the blues is cosmic. Clapton kicks ass. Johnny Winter on slide amazing. The only complaint I'd ever have about the blues is after numerous listens the formula gets repetitive. Which is why Zeppelin is KING. A lot of their blues doesn't sound like the blues. But, Page is GOD.

Can't beat a bit of Led Zep! =D

Back