DSLR vs. Camcorder

Hello Indietalk, i'll start off by saying I am a total noob at anything equipment related. As of late I've read a couple of books on script writting, and I've decided to slowly start constructing a beginners set up to bring my own scripts to life (short films). I've done some research around the forum and seen that the Canon T2i, as well as the Canon Vixia HF-S20 seem to have good feedback from the members. I noticed however that the T2i is oriented for stills, even though it may have great video functions.
So if you could catch me up on that. I'm basically looking for a sub 1000$ Cam to work with.
I also have an additional 600$ (for now), that I will be setting aside for a tripod, first microphone, and basic lighting; when I decide on the camera. I will be making a different thread for that.

Thanks in advance

T2i. In your price-range, there is no debate. Do some more searching around the archives of this forum, if you need further confirmation. You'll reach the same conclusion:

Hands-down, T2i, not even worth considering any other camera in your price-range.

plenty of information in older threads here abt dslrs and camcorders.

the search function is ur friend.

and id recommend saving a bit more than 600 for mi, tripod, lighting etc.

and if u go DSLR, start counting money for lenses.

thanks a lot, a couple more things:
can anyone address the "jello effect" (aka "rolling shutter") issue on dslrs?

also, will the stock lense allow me to experiement on my first film or will I be forced to buy a couple of lenses from the start?

@Ernest Worthing: it is not a set budget, but 600$ is what I have left over at the moment. I would like to get the basics (if possible) with that, and in the future I will expand more on mics/lighting.

I purchased the T2i quite recently....man...believe me when I tell you it's awesome! The lens it comes with a an 18-55, and it's pretty wide. Great for interiors, and the DOF is amazing. plus, you can not only shoot 30fps, 24fps, but 60fps!! The "overcranked" footage looks simply delicious.

lol...Rik...too funny.

Ummm...I'd say for the under $1000 range, the T2i will produce the best image quality (with film look and DOF).

It won't look the best blown up to full theatrical screen (you might be able to find a cheap 1080p HD cam that may look crisper blown up)...but the T2i is the best bang for the buck when considering DVD and internet viewing.

I think...

I would love to offer my opinion, but it seems the rules have been put in place:

There is no debate.

Aw, man! I call shenanigans on this "rule"! Mainly because I love when Directorik answers this question. Its one of my favorite things. The answer is never rote; it's always based on his latest wringing out of the latest cameras.

Please, don't abide these "rules" and let us hear your answer! I'm sure the original poster would love to hear it as much as I.

Haha. Lol, directorik.

Wisecracks aside, "there's no debate" is of course not a literal statement, but a euphemism intended to highlight a clear distinction between the winner and the rest. It's not that you can't debate it, but why would you try? If there is a camera in the sub-$1000 range that produces results even close to as good as the T2i, I'd love to hear about it.

Jello effect --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhfQnIQPMjM

As far as I can tell, jello is less worse than it used to be. The clip above is the most extreme example of lateral camera movement on my latest shoot. See how the buildings get all bendy?

Well, that's on a whip-pan. On slower pans, I haven't noticed any jello whatsoever. A DSLR would probably be a bad idea for an action movie, otherwise, I personally don't think jello is a major concern.

The jello effect is a downside certainly worth accepting. I mean, if you are mainly an action film director, don't get a DSLR...but if you're shooting mainly standard narrative fair, you'll be fine.

I'm shooting a Bourne style feature with the T2i right now and Jello is a non issue. Treat the camera like a larger film camera and you'll be okay. Anyone who tells you that you have to use a tripod is lying. In fact, pans on a tripod look terrible compared to pans from a homemade shoulder rig or even just holding the camera in front of you, panning with your body.

I'm shooting a Bourne style feature with the T2i right now and Jello is a non issue. Treat the camera like a larger film camera and you'll be okay. Anyone who tells you that you have to use a tripod is lying. In fact, pans on a tripod look terrible compared to pans from a homemade shoulder rig or even just holding the camera in front of you, panning with your body.

I will have to agree with you on the preferability of panning without a tripod. But there are many other situations in which a tripod is a really good idea. That doesn't mean you should never go handheld; I think you've misunderstood our point.

Also, jello is a real thing. Look at the buildings in the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhfQnIQPMjM

Will jello ruin your movie? Probably not. But it is a real thing.

Lastly, I think it's awesome that you're making an Bourne feature. Please post a link to it, when you've got something to show us.

And, lastly-lastly, it's nice to see someone from Eastern Washington on here. I'm actually a CWU graduate. Cheers!

Anyone who tells you anyone who tells you that you have to use a tripod is lying is lying ;)...

In my opinion a tripod is a must, yeah, it's not the best for panning side to side like a drunk responding to the question 'were the nazi's racially accepting?' Unless you want to give your audience motion sickness while the camera gently lolls from side to side on a shot that is supposed to not be moving you need a tripod.

Also don't present your opinions as fact, it tends to annoy.

You're shooting a Bourne-style movie with a DSLR? Can't wait to see this. Hey, who do you have doing the fight choreography and stunt coordination? Any stunt teams I'd know?

I saw a little jello at the end of the clip, but the buildings were skew, which even film has a bit of skew due to the shutter wiping across the frame, just not that much. Go frame by frame through some scenes from Bourne and you'll see it.

You're from WA? Small world =D

I'll be sure to post some clips when I start the online.

Back