DS9

Well about 3 maybe 4 days ago I started to watch Deep Space Nine from the start. Mid way in S1 I recalled why that was the best ST show to date. The chars are all very diff and it's a more darker ST. What are your persons fav ST?

DS9 also, same reasons. Ronald D. Moore pretty much rules... But the original series is pretty damn close. Archetypically I think the characters are incredibly strong, and I love TOS' classic sci-fi heavy handed philosophical musings. Yes, at times it's way cheesy. But there's definitely times I likes my science fictions melodramatic and thinky. :D

While I agree that TOS was good, TNG was the BEST.

No offense to anyone, but DS9 and Voyager were political moves. DS9 was to have a black (not using as a racist term) captain, and Voyager was to have a female captain.

Again, I'm not racist or sexist. I don't mean to offend anyone with this statement. I'm just calling it as it is, political moves. The shows kind of started going downwards after that happened.

And Enterprise, I mean, what the heck? It's not even considered ST lol

I <3 all trek (well, cept Enterprise)... but the political moves thing very much did not start with Ds9 and VG. Having a racially diverse crew was a huge goal and point of emphasis of TOS... For example, television's first interracial kiss, one of the earlier sci-fi works that presented earth as being other than strictly white. It's kinda hard to see now, because at the end of the day a lot of the minority characters did end up as "tokens" (it kinda drives me crazy seeing Scotty's character get bigger as Sulu and Uhura's get smaller by the season) but TOS was perhaps the MOST political of all Treks given the times, and TNG is actually kind of the exception in that it didn't really push any boundaries in terms of non-stereotypical characters in terms of race/sex/etc.

I can def. see why someone would prefer TNG to other shows... it's a taste thing. But saying that the franchise went downhill because it got political is just not accurate relative to the history of the show.

Also... I'm sorta in the camp that even if all art is not inherently political, it is impossible (or at least extremely difficult) to create art without reflecting cultural values and politics. When I see a show that has two white male leaders I also see politics, just of a different nature. I think the question of "does a show reflect political goals" is much less useful then the question of "does a show execute what it is trying to do well?"

I <3 all trek (well, cept Enterprise)... but the political moves thing very much did not start with Ds9 and VG. Having a racially diverse crew was a huge goal and point of emphasis of TOS... For example, television's first interracial kiss, one of the earlier sci-fi works that presented earth as being other than strictly white. It's kinda hard to see now, because at the end of the day a lot of the minority characters did end up as "tokens" (it kinda drives me crazy seeing Scotty's character get bigger as Sulu and Uhura's get smaller by the season) but TOS was perhaps the MOST political of all Treks given the times, and TNG is actually kind of the exception in that it didn't really push any boundaries in terms of non-stereotypical characters in terms of race/sex/etc.

True, true. I also forgot about the kiss scene.

Thanks for correcting!

I have to say I wasn't really expecting more than 2 replies let alone a real brake down of the shows like this. I feel bad that I don't have anything to add to the brake down.

I will say based on a purely entertainment view that it goes DS9 for reasons stated in my 1st post. Next would be TNG, well to be honest I don't know but I do know I enjoy the show more than ENT, ToS and VOY. Then would be Enterprise for the last 2seasons alone, both were well written, had NON-HUMANIOD aliens and they weren't afaird to hurt/kill some of the main crew. ToS forth just for the fact that it is so campy and corny by todays standards. I'm show if they were to do a retelling of the show with all the effects that are possable today I place it at the 2nd spot. Finally my lest liked ST is Voyager. They had a real chance to do a lot of things differntly but failed to. It always seemed that every ep was just like the one before: good times on the ship then someone or something was attacking them. How in the hell did that ship live so long? Also why wasn't there any Mirror eps?

It always seemed that every ep was just like the one before: good times on the ship then someone or something was attacking them. How in the hell did that ship live so long? Also why wasn't there any Mirror eps?

I would have to agree with that point.

Here's my ranking:

TNG
VGR
TOS
DS9
ENT (I've never seen more than like 2 minutes of any episode)

Back