• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

dropped frames in final cut pro 6

Hey guys I am trying to edit a documentary video and it seems as if though there is constantly dropped frames throughout playback and while trying to edit. I am using a MB pro with 4gb of ram and a 2.66 duo core so I dont know why it is not working. it is being editing from an external portable my book hard drive through a fire wire 800. Please any please would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys I am trying to edit a documentary video and it seems as if though there is constantly dropped frames throughout playback and while trying to edit. I am using a MB pro with 4gb of ram and a 2.66 duo core so I dont know why it is not working. it is being editing from an external portable my book hard drive through a fire wire 800. Please any please would be greatly appreciated.

I find that the bottleneck in these situations is usually the hard drive speed. What is the data rate/resolution/codec of your footage?

I assume its because the 320 GB 5400 RPM hard-drive in your laptop is to slow. Your computer is only as fast its slowest component. I recommend upgrading to a 64 GB (or more) flash drive, these are quite expensive at the minute, if your not keen on solid state drives maybe a 7200 RPM would do, not sure though.

I am having the same problem. I don't know if it is my system though. Premiere works fine, but FCP can't play back my video. I just got a new 8-core Mac with 8 GB of RAM and the FCP suite.

I remember this happening at a news station I worked at. The IT guy was able to fix it, but I don't know how he did it.

I'll check my HD speed, but I don't know why Premiere would play the video and not FCP.

Back