• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Does page count matter when writing a horror screenplay?

By me being the one directing the film, does it matter if my screenplay is only 70 pages long? (I mean because with the end credits and beginning credits, that'll be ten extra minutes anyway, right?) Especially if it's a horror story/film? Or should I go ahead and try to tack on ten more extra pages to the script to make it a full 80 pages like the normal standard goes for horror scripts (80-110 pgs)?

Last edited:
Normal horror is 80 to 90 pages usually.

If you're directing (and financing) the film, then fine, go for it. Just remember one thing. The 1 min = 1 page is a general rule, not an exact rule. 1 page could last 40 seconds, or it could last 3 minutes. What you don't want to happen is to have the majority of your pages turn out to be 40 seconds, a few 2 mins and come up short in the end.

Even worse, you don't want to have a problem where you need to tighten your film but it's already too short to allow that to happen.

One more point. How many are going to be on the cast and crew? It's hard to have 10 minutes of credits for 10 people.

Normal horror is 80 to 90 pages usually.

If you're directing (and financing) the film, then fine, go for it. Just remember one thing. The 1 min = 1 page is a general rule, not an exact rule. 1 page could last 40 seconds, or it could last 3 minutes. What you don't want to happen is to have the majority of your pages turn out to be 40 seconds, a few 2 mins and come up short in the end.

Even worse, you don't want to have a problem where you need to tighten your film but it's already too short to allow that to happen.

One more point. How many are going to be on the cast and crew? It's hard to have 10 minutes of credits for 10 people.

Ok, so I should go ahead and at least try to make it 90 pages then?

Also it's about seven in the cast that have speaking roles, not including the non speaking roles.....

Honestly it depends on the screenplay. Whether or not lengthening it will help is based on a number of factors. The bottom line is does the story work as is or does it need some fleshing out? How much revising have you done so far? Is there anything that still doesn't quite work in the screenplay.

Honestly it depends on the screenplay. Whether or not lengthening it will help is based on a number of factors. The bottom line is does the story work as is or does it need some fleshing out? How much revising have you done so far? Is there anything that still doesn't quite work in the screenplay.

I added in an extra scene and upped the page count to 72 and I honestly feel with that, I don't have anything else I can add to the script. I truly believe the story works great the way it is. It gets straight to the point with the horror and fear, without all that unnecessary B.S. that's in most of the so-called "horror films" today. I've revised it four times this week and this latest revision I did today, I feel is THE best one. Everything works in the 72 pages of the screenplay?

so I should go ahead and at least try to make it 90 pages then?

It's impossible to tell from what information you've given. It's a "how long in a piece of string" question. Only those who are intimately familiar with the project can answer it. Since you seem unsure, the answer is likely to be it needs more work.

I feel is THE best one. Everything works in the 72 pages of the screenplay?

It'll depend on whether you're right or not. If you're 100% right and have timed the script correctly, then you're golden. If you're off (in the way of not enough footage), you're completely screwed.

I've revised it four times this week and this latest revision I did today

It's easy to get tunnel vision. I know, it happens to me.

Few suggestions:
1). If you think it's at its best, put it away for a couple weeks and work on something else in the mean time. Come back, pick it up and re-read it with a fresh perspective.
2). Get (you may have to pay) an experienced writer to read it and give notes.
3). Pitch to a low budget horror producer. Observe their reactions. If you're right, they'll be excited to pick it up. If not, you may be missing something.

First feature had 68 pages and first cut was under 50 minutes, then I did reshoot and final film was 70 minutes (24fps). If you are planning to create a feature film and after the shoot realize you have 50 minutes of material, well that is not a good place to be:)

Second feature has 87 pages and the final edit is 76 minutes (25fps).

Both are drama films with some action scenes.

I added in an extra scene and upped the page count to 72 and I honestly feel with that, I don't have anything else I can add to the script. I truly believe the story works great the way it is. It gets straight to the point with the horror and fear, without all that unnecessary B.S. that's in most of the so-called "horror films" today. I've revised it four times this week and this latest revision I did today, I feel is THE best one. Everything works in the 72 pages of the screenplay?

What do you mean by the unnecessary B.S. exactly?

By me being the one directing the film, does it matter if my screenplay is only 70 pages long?
No.
The page count only matters when you're submitting a spec screenplay for consideration of production by someone else.

Regarding the length of the actual film itself, that only matters to distributors.
Speaking of which - what is your planned venue of having your film's target audience actually watch it?

Also, please don't fluff up the time with irrelevant BS and lingering shots JUST to satisfy some time constraint.
It doesn't fool anyone and usually just p!sses them off = bad reviews.
Add meaningful material relevant to the development of story, plot, and characters.

GL & Best Wishes!

I'm of the mindset that if the story is only 70 pages long, or however long, after it's perfected, then that is the length of the story. You can't argue if that's how long it is.

Don't flesh it out or cut it to satisfy a rule of thumb. As long as the is well paced with great performances and camera work then being just under or just over the ideal page count is a non issue.

Some distributors may care, but if its a good film, I'm sure there's many that wont.

Back