• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

do you guys reccomend recording background sound? (Prevent Jumpcuts)

When you shoot a scene in different angles, and edit them together. The background may sound jumpcutted. For example, if a airplane flies over at 1 angle, and we switch to another angle, all of a sudden the airplaen sound is gone because I shot that angle at a different time.

So should I shoot all my scenes. Then sit down and record background sound, and then put it under my timeline? Im assuming this will fix my problem.

First, if there's an airplane, you want to wait for it to go. If you can't wait, then you'll likely have to loop that line or, as I did in one of my films, make sure the sound continues into the next cut.

Generally, you record what is called "room tone" for every scene. That means keeping everyone and everything on the set after the last take and recording at least 30 seconds of silence.

For editing purposes, you don't lay the room tone under the whole scene. You use it to plug in holes in the audio track that usually result from editing, time-shifts, and unwanted background noise. If, for example, a car goes by in the scene when the actor isn't talking and you want to get rid of it, you cut out that sound and replace it with room tone.

Generally, you record what is called "room tone" for every scene. That means keeping everyone and everything on the set after the last take and recording at least 30 seconds of silence.

That's the traditional way. However, the sound guy from my last film likes to record tone first, before the camera ever rolls. His rationale is that, since everyone is focused on getting the scene they'll have an easier time keeping still for 30 seconds, as opposed to after the last take when they're champing to pack up and go.

If you've spent much time on a set you'll know exactly what he means.

Back