Do you guys have a second job?

I'm sure at least some of you are very established filmmakers and making movies is your full time career. But for the rest, I'm guessing making movies doesn't provide a stable enough income right? So do you guys have second jobs? Or is filmmaking your second job?

I'm still very young and just planning my future, and am wondering if I should get a degree in something practical to use as a day job and treat filmmaking as a second job. Hopefully one day filmmaking will take over as a full time career (when I'm rich and famous of course :cool: )

I think most people spend many on film making rather than make money don't they?
Film making is my weekend and holiday job.

Owen

I'm sure at least some of you are very established filmmakers and making movies is your full time career. But for the rest, I'm guessing making movies doesn't provide a stable enough income right? So do you guys have second jobs? Or is filmmaking your second job?

I'm still very young and just planning my future, and am wondering if I should get a degree in something practical to use as a day job and treat filmmaking as a second job. Hopefully one day filmmaking will take over as a full time career (when I'm rich and famous of course :cool: )

Uhm...independent film is not a job for most folks. It costs way too much money. It's another version of playing golf for a great number of people.

Cripes! Was that depressing?

Yes, there are gifted people on this forum who keep there houses with money made from independent films.

I agree with camvader. Filmmaking is just a hobby for now. I could stop what doing and save a hell of a lot of money but it's fun and I like it. Maybe someday I can do it full time but not right now.

And a third, and some other prospects as well... makes me wonder how I have enough time to contribute here ;) I don't sleep alot.

Put me in the "filmmaking is hobby" department- I haven't made money at the venture yet. I have a financial situation set up where I can do my hobbies (film, photograph, paint, write ect) and still keep roof over my head and food on my table :)

Yes and no
I work for the US Government producing informational / training videos as well as recording/editing training events. Then for some reason I make corporate and fun videos when I am not “working”. For me it is the best of one world twice over. I am not rich nor famous but I have more than enough money to eat sleep and support my hobbies pulse I get to live in Europe while traveling the world. Not a bad deal.
You are young? My advice is; go to school while making lots of movies. If you are not learning what you like at school you can always change direction but the older you get the harder (but not impossible) it is to go back to school in the sense of responsibilities that come with being an adult limiting your time.
Good luck

Yikes, this is a depressing thread!

I've noticed (rather grumpily) that all my friends working in either G&E or editing/post production seem to get work almost regularly. Not as much so with my friends working in audio or writing (although I guess writing shouldn't be that surprising). Of course I think the area you live in has a lot to do with it. Almost half of my graduating class has moved to NYC to find work (and from what I understand have been more or less successful). I'm sticking with Philly a little longer with the hope that the film scene here picks up... but so far it's slim pickings. I tried for a year to get "indie work" before going for the job I'm at now. It's rough (re: BORING) ... but some days it's useful having that paycheck every other week...

definitely a hobby hahahhahahahahah i suck hahahahahah

im a satellite communications engineer... A NERD... for short...

so this allows me to spend my moneyon stupid shit ... ie pretending i can make movies hahahahah

basically i would suggest you look for a career in something you enjoy... your whole life should be based around things that make you happy

definitely a hobby hahahhahahahahah i suck hahahahahah

im a satellite communications engineer... A NERD... for short...

so this allows me to spend my moneyon stupid shit ... ie pretending i can make movies hahahahah

basically i would suggest you look for a career in something you enjoy... your whole life should be based around things that make you happy

IMO Life is too short doing something you HATE doing, and I agree whole heartedly!

First job is computer programmer that funds my second money losing job as a filmmaker.

It's VERY similar to music. For most people they never make any money at it, for some it becomes a stable career, but modest income in the trenches (similar to the guy who makes a living as a session player, or in a touring cover band, or small label band), and for 1 out of 1000 they hit it big.

IMO Life is too short doing something you HATE doing, and I agree whole heartedly!

exactly...

nothing worse than doing a dead end job... it took me years to get my wife to finally give up on trying to find a job ... and just do what she wants... this is what she does now...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doughy-Creations/132005500196153

189327_147858565277513_132005500196153_303768_5640623_n.jpg

if you cant find something you enjoy to do... find a man to pay for it while you do it hahahahahahahahahah thats my wifes moto hahahahahahahahahah just kidding

heres my advice to you guys with aspirations in film making. "Find your customers, supply your customers." IN other words, if all you're doing is making short films....no one is paying for it. find a crowd that will pay for your "videos". This is basic executive/marketing strategy when a firm is diversifying or entering an industry.

as for me i'm a full time student finishing up my BS in management, with an interest in video production and commercials. also in the insurance industry and education industry too as a life insurance salesman and k-12 tutor.

Last edited:
as for me i'm a full time student finishing up my BS in management, with an interest in video production and commercials.

Actually, one of my biggest regrets, post college is that I didn't do this. I'd be more willing to do industrials and stuff if I had a better knowledge of management/business etc...

Well, I'm a student myself so when exams are over in May I'm hoping to write and shoot some stuff in the summer. I'm thinking of studying film production in uni actually, just don't know where to go for it.

Thanks.
Although that says for film studies. I wanna do film production. I believe they're different courses (not trying to sound arrogant or anything ^^)

Thanks.
Although that says for film studies. I wanna do film production. I believe they're different courses (not trying to sound arrogant or anything ^^)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=772123

I know someone doing film production at Sussex and they say that it's very good.

Personally I'd recommend going out getting some experience, shooting some shorts, building up a showreel and then applying to NFTS because there's nowhere (in the UK at least) better for learning film...

Working in the film industy for ten years, this is my findings. YOU HAVE FILM spectators AND FILM MAKERS, and from someone whos worked in the industy for ten years. All people in Bafta & Cannes talk about making films, but its all bullshit. You think you know about making movies, not enought my friend, you got to know about money first. Making films is about money....FULLSTOP.

Back