• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do you always write a plot before the screenplay?

I'm in the midst of (for the first time) imposing the classic 3 act model on something. I had played it pretty fast and loose in the past, but I have to do it in this treatment if it's going to get picked up.

I always build a full foundation. I look at writing as building a house; with a weak foundation you can't build a strong structure. I personally build a treatment/outline of the stories intention/meaning and all characters bio's, then actually right out the full treatment. We then process the living crap out of those for a bit. Once they are done we start index carding the whole thing.

I think this is a very important way to write a story and very important if more than one person is involved with the direction of the project. We have 4 people that are giving notes and writing different sections, but usually one or two are the "bosses". So when they have a list of a characters intentions, do's/don't, and background story - if we want someones opinion, it comes back to us fast.
It gives anyone good solid information of what they can do and where they can take the story. Which in turns gives you rock solid thoughts, opinions, ideas of what can happen and where you can take it too.

Not really. Usually when an idea comes to my mind, I just start writing the script. But I think it's ideal to write a plot before because you can forget some details by starting directly with the screenplay.

In short, Harmonica's advice is either:
a) Bad
b) Absolutely perfect

It comes down to your own approach to screenwriting, and since you don't know what your style is (yet), I'd suggest you take Harmonica's advice, and see whether your result is A, or B. We cannot help you with that part.

ROK

Okay maybe my advice is not the best at all, but it did help me a lot, to make the treatment more lengthy. Not too lengthy of course, you can probably write a script with the treatment in your head.

Back