Do people duplicate movies?

No, not copy DVDs. But like cover bands copy songs.

It seems like a lot of beginners try to write their own scripts and so forth, and create their own artistic representation of camerawork, editing, acting styles, and so forth.

Do people ever go out and try to copy entire movies for practice? If so, what's that called. If not, is it because it serves little purpose besides the technical aspect?

I feel like if I wanted to try my hand at directing, producing, camera, and sound, I could try to make an an exact copy of Glengarry Glen Ross and see how my version compares. Seems like it would be easier to judge your work if you had something concrete to compare to.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as you don't try to distribute it and claim it's an original idea. :P

I once tried to write my own script for Star Wars. I had decided to re-create the first one (which is now number four, I guess...?), but I never went through with it. The main reason for that is because I could never get a Darth Vader helmet, and I decided I didn't feel like re-creating a two-hour+ film.

I definitely think it's a good idea for practice, though.

I've decided (yes, in 1 hour) that it makes more sense to just focus on one or two scenes. I bet theres more than enough challenges in one scene that trying to make it look and feel right can be educational enough on its own.

I bet you could spend hours and hours, if not days and days, on that 9 minute scene from GGR. I'd probably try to pick something easier for the actors though, as the exercise would also be for everyone else and I think that scene would get hung up on the actor's issues instead.

I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as you don't try to distribute it and claim it's an original idea. :P

I once tried to write my own script for Star Wars. I had decided to re-create the first one (which is now number four, I guess...?), but I never went through with it. The main reason for that is because I could never get a Darth Vader helmet, and I decided I didn't feel like re-creating a two-hour+ film.

I definitely think it's a good idea for practice, though.

Who needs a helmet? Just get a bunch of LEGOs. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0z_TU4Gw5o

Back