DIY Shotgun Microphone Mount - $3.22

DIY stuff is fine, and your project looks good. I'm sure that it will help a few folks who don't want to spend the extra money to get the shock-mount when they buy the mic.

The issue for folks like me is not the cost but the weight. When holding a boom-pole for hours on end a few ounces makes a difference during hour nine.

Oh I can totally see that Alcove. I probably couldn't even hold my own arms up that long, haha. I know a lot of other diy mounts were a lot bigger and didn't look to great either as far as aesthetics. Thats why I came up with this. I am sure that cutting out slots in the exterior housing or drilling big holes evenly might help a bit but I will leave that up to the person who builds it to do so. Just wanted to keep it simple as I know a lot of young people look to do these sorts of things for there videos.

That's a pretty nifty job!
I haven't seen many DIY Shock Mounts as clean as that!

I noticed that you mentioned you could get the screw assembly in a bit deeper - do you reckon it'd be possible to get some PVC thick enough to have the female 1/4" (or 3/8") sitting in there??
I'm just thinking that it'd be a nice finishing touch as what I've found tends to happen with mounts that have lots of thread between the unit and where you attach it, is that if it isn't *juuuust riiight* you get a lot of wobble once mounted.

Have you had that problem?

That's a pretty nifty job!
I haven't seen many DIY Shock Mounts as clean as that!

I noticed that you mentioned you could get the screw assembly in a bit deeper - do you reckon it'd be possible to get some PVC thick enough to have the female 1/4" (or 3/8") sitting in there??
I'm just thinking that it'd be a nice finishing touch as what I've found tends to happen with mounts that have lots of thread between the unit and where you attach it, is that if it isn't *juuuust riiight* you get a lot of wobble once mounted.

Have you had that problem?

Hey thanks! For the mount check out my thread I just posted with a video on how I made it. Hopefully it helps.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=37584

Back