DIY movie poster

Hi Filmmakers,

My short film was recently accepted into two film festivals. I'm looking to make a poster for it, but I don't know where to start. How do you create yours? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Here's a video I did as part of my Indie Rebel course. Hope it helps
14666305_978644295577665_5352934157160614320_n.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HgUyBHVzq8

Last edited:
Hi Filmmakers,

My short film was recently accepted into two film festivals. I'm looking to make a poster for it, but I don't know where to start. How do you create yours? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

When I was designing poster for my first short film, I was pretty much in the same position. I spent almost 5 hours to learn some Photoshop basics. Then I designed my poster using Photoshop. I live in LA and graphic designers charge around $40/hour. I went to them at the last stage just to fine tune it. My poster was very simple. To do some complicated poster work, of course you need more than 5 hours to learn Photoshop. If you are taking to graphic designers, make sure you have some idea about how you want the poster to look. As I said, they charge per hour and it can easily get expensive.

Just a side note, learning Photoshop basics helped me on other things too.

Also, even if you don't win at the festival, you can put 'Official selection' laurel at the poster. That laurel template is available online.

I'm a big believer in www.canva.com. I use it for a lot of the graphics and album covers that I need for my music library site when hiring a graphic designer isn't feasible.

And a BIG plus is that they have a very good selection of templates including movie poster templates. So, it's kind of like a stripped down photoshop with an included stock photo library and a bunch of templates.

Back