DIY 3-Axis Motion controll rig

Hey guys!

I had a vision now for a long time to combine timelapse with slow motion. I have a background in Mountainbiking and therefore I allways pictured myself a long cablecam shot of someone rinding a trail while the trail is being built just in front of him.
I know this is quite a big vision for a student like me, with a very small budget as it requires expensive gear. I then saved up for one of these small gopro gimbals from china for about 100$ (For my quadrocopter project) and thought I can maybe write my own software for it to do something like the thing explained above. But unfortunately I had a little accident and now my 2-year project quadrocopter including the gimbal literally flew off :grumpy::huh::bang:
So I need a new project...

About to weeks ago I saw this video with a gimbal-rig using stepper motors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C71Y_-EhZaE

And it really got me. I then started messing around with an raspberry Pi 2, which I got for chrismas and an old steppermotor. I love this things! They are a lot more accurate than the brushless motors in the conventional gimbals and really powerful. The downside is that they are pretty heavy and make some noise. But I rememberd the "vision" I had and I knew these motors were the right way to adchieve it.
I thought I`d make the frame out of aluminium beams. The rest will be printed out with the 3D printer from my school. I`ll use locking bearings for the axis and turn them with a pully system and a transmission ratio of about 1:5.
This way I should be able to get a accuracy of about 0.01° per step!

My goal is to have a setup working that can be placed on any platform(handheld, quadrocopter, cablecam, tripod etc.) and record a certain movement and then play it back at different speeds. Also, It should stabilize the fotage.

With the raspberry pi 2 as a "brain" I can think of quite a few things which could be implemented. (e.g. live image tracking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH9MoY-SW2Q)

Anyways, i`ll keep you updated.. And if there is anyone who has experience on something like this please tell me Im not investing in the wrong thing ;)

Sygnus

PS: Sry for bad english, Im not a native speaker ;)

Back